robbin fornicating fatherless beavers!!!!!!!!

news of the world

I have been looking for a stock for my ruger#1,I've found one!
Midwayusa have a bell and Carlson @ $199(£130)the same stock @ Midwayuk,wait for it..................................$353.00(£229).
And of couse Midwayusa won't post.

I know every one has to make a profit but that is just out and out daylight robbery.I will never buy another thing from Midway.The word Midway is banned in my house and so is anyone that mentions them, along with their children, their pets, their parents and any other living relative.

MIDWAY GO TO HELL!!!

Last edited:
Bypassing the scenario of ordering from shops in the USA that won't ship to the UK!

It is such a shame that not only midway UK are more expensive but they take your money and often never send you the goods, then months later say, we're sorry but we can no longer get this item, and thats when you phoneto ask them why they have taken money but not sent the item.

I discovered this company a few years ago: http://www.internationalcheckout.com/

Basically, you go to their website, fill in an order form with exactly what item you want and from what website in the USA, and pay them. They then order it on your behalf and send it to you via fed-ex or something like that. They will give you a quote before you order, may not work out cheaper but then if it is just a little bit cheaper than midway UK it would be worth it!

Have used the above company a few times to order from companies that won't ship to the UK and it opens upa whole new market!

It is such a shame that not only midway UK are more expensive but they take your money and often never send you the goods, then months later say, we're sorry but we can no longer get this item, and thats when you phoneto ask them why they have taken money but not sent the item.

I discovered this company a few years ago: http://www.internationalcheckout.com/

Basically, you go to their website, fill in an order form with exactly what item you want and from what website in the USA, and pay them. They then order it on your behalf and send it to you via fed-ex or something like that. They will give you a quote before you order, may not work out cheaper but then if it is just a little bit cheaper than midway UK it would be worth it!

Have used the above company a few times to order from companies that won't ship to the UK and it opens upa whole new market!

St308,
will give them a try if I can't get any sense out of the others suppliers,Stocky's have the stock I want but it is out of stock and knowing B&C it could be a long wait..

regards
Now

i used to get annoyed at this sort of thing too but just to play the devils advocate for a min
they have to get the stock to the uk then there are costs associated with staff websites etc as well as hm goverments taxes and tarrifs to contend with
everything is cheaper in the us they have a much bigger audience and less paperwork and bull to deal with

you could try john greene here in ireland he is a midway agent and a ruger no1 fan

http://clusterstone.ie/index.php

Last edited:
Failing all that i think i am going over end of feb if you can wait that long get it sent to my mates address and i will post it back for you
Geordie

landkeeper,
I can see where you are coming from but! and this is a big but,Midway UK will acquiring these items at the same trade price as Midway US, and yes they have to be shipped the the UK.Retail on these stocks is about $150 (midway $199),trade I would assume would be about $90,import is 3%, vat 20% = $112 = £72.72 + shipping

If Midway US allowed me to buy their product at $199 + import duty 3% + Vat 20% + shipping $16.00 = £163.00

Midway UK £229.00

No getting away from it!

Failing all that i think i am going over end of feb if you can wait that long get it sent to my mates address and i will post it back for you
Geordie

Thanks for that, its not that I don't begrudge paying the price I begrudge getting bent over and having shoved where the sun don't shine.

I have found another Site that has the same stock for $149.99 so with all the costs involved I will save £100 on Midway's price..

regards
Now

"I'm Larry P********ld and that's the way it is"
I would like to buy a trigger for my AR range rifle the US versus UK price in Dollars nearly doubles, that can't all be duty they post direct from over the water so only minimal UK overheads office,phone and wages no warehouse.

Last edited:
if your buying anything you go for the cheapest price you can get , right , if your selling something you want the best price you can get , or am i wrong ? If they want to charge the earth let them , theyll soon stop trading

if your buying anything you go for the cheapest price you can get , right , if your selling something you want the best price you can get , or am i wrong ? If they want to charge the earth let them , theyll soon stop trading
But it seems all bets are off when your only source is the US and they won't ship to the UK.

I've a 2-week stay in Florida in April, happy to bring back a few smaller items for people if wanted. Already ordered a stock for myself to be delivered to the hotel while I'm there :D

Needed to buy an IBM computer a couple of years ago. It was about £18000 so i figured it was worth a try seeing if I could get one from the states. They all come in from Ireland anyway so thought it was worth the effort. Called some suppliers over the pond and was told that IBM would not allow orders from the UK. In addition to which if I managed to get someone to supply it to me they would not honour the warranty. Bearing in mind it was about $18000 dollars I was really not best pleased. I cannot understand how this business practice is allowed.

I bought a Nissan once that had mysteriously found its way off of a ship on its way to Cyprus once and when I called Nissan to check the manufacturers warranty they said that they would honour it wherever it was purchased or manufactured. That is how it should be.

landkeeper,
I can see where you are coming from but! and this is a big but,Midway UK will acquiring these items at the same trade price as Midway US, and yes they have to be shipped the the UK.Retail on these stocks is about $150 (midway $199),trade I would assume would be about $90,import is 3%, vat 20% = $112 = £72.72 + shipping

If Midway US allowed me to buy their product at $199 + import duty 3% + Vat 20% + shipping $16.00 = £163.00

Midway UK £229.00
Times are hard, give them your figures, and then follow up with an offer!
Cheers
Richard

Midway UK will acquiring these items at the same trade price as Midway US.

No they won't. AFAIK Midway UK is an agent for Midway US not a subsidiary.

Based on similar arrangements in my own industry I'd estimate that they'll be getting something like 18-22% off list.

It used to be that the average retailer could expect to double their cost price before tax but this has become less common since the advent of the internet. Normal retail margins now could be anything from 100% (double the purchase price) to 25% (1.25 times the purchase price) although I understand that margins are a lot higher in risky operations like high street fashion.

If as a retailer you're only making 25% you need to shifting huge volumes of stock to stay in business, it just isn't viable for most of us. That's not greed, running a business is expensive.

So lets assume a 20% discount off US list prices. $199 = £119.40 less 20% is £95.52.
Add 3% duty = £98.39 plus maybe a tenner to get it here gives a landed cost price of £118.39

Allow a reasonable margin of 50% so that gives a pre-tax retail price of £177.59
Add another fiver to ship it to you = £182.59 + VAT = £219.11

That is based on guesstimates but its a damn sight more realistic than NOTW's figures which assume that the business will be run on goodwill rather than profit and that the consumer pays VAT on the wholesale price.
The difference between gross profit on a sale and net profit is scary, factor in card processing fees, banking fees, rent, rates, accountancy fees, staff costs, advertising etc etc........................................... and then if you have got anything left the taxman wants a fifth of that too.

These "Greedy retailer" threads really annoy me, times are hard and no-one I know can afford to be greedy but you don't stay in business by running it as a charity. If anyone is naive enough to think otherwise then put you're money where your mouth is and set up in competition with Midway and I'll wish you the best of luck.

Back