Donegal tomorrow.

willtomand

Hi all. Off to Donegal tomorrow for a go at those BIG REDS. Been a long time in the pipeline this one due to holdups in paperwork. Was meaning to go during Nov08! Will post pictures of success, if any had, on return.

what part of donegal i have a good friend in letterkenny ,i shot a big red a old 12 point this oct ,30 stone he was ,one hour forty min s stalking him in the rain the roar s of him.we were only yards away at one stage the smell of him and the noise was unreal.we lost him in heavy forest and we stalked another stag with no luck a hour later walking back to my landrover a roar where we seen him first . i went to a bank to my right then a could see him trotting down the track to us i dropped to the ground loaded the 270 flipped up the covers .FOGGED fxxk cleaned them with my finger as the top points came over the little hill 25 yards away then his head appeared then his chest he slowed and i necked him down he went .my friend and i are strong lumps of lads but he was a pull and a half the get into the trailer .my first red stag in donegal a lovely 12 for the wall ,i have shot well over a 1000 deer and guided clients to many stags and hinds but this is by far the most exciting stalk i ever had i wish you the same in lovely donegal

Best of luck. The weather should be great over the next couple of days.

I hope to be stalking on the Tyrone - Donegal border on Saturday morning.

willltomand said:
Will post pictures of success, if any had, on return.
the one thing i find with stalking , is you don't need success to make it special
take plenty of pics if you can as the trophy is the hunt, the beast is just an extra
hav a good trip and hopefully a very sucessful one , look forward to the pics with or with out a grassed one but hope luck is on your side
ATB
stone

stone said:
willltomand said:
Will post pictures of success, if any had, on return.
the one thing i find with stalking , is you don't need success to make it special
take plenty of pics if you can as the trophy is the hunt, the beast is just an extra
hav a good trip and hopefully a very sucessful one , look forward to the pics with or with out a grassed one but hope luck is on your side
ATB
stone

Good post & very true.

Donegal

Up back of Glenveigh National Park. Beautiful spot, did not see another person all day! A little wind would have been an advantage though. First stalk onto a puckle of hinds was failure as they spied us at 300yrds away. Probably alerted by noise which carried for a long way. 2nd stalk onto a very late born calf on its own. Good one though as took us 30mins to get into shootable range. Took him in the chest at 200 yrds as could get no closer. He' hanging at my local butcher and will be jointed and ready for collection on Thursday. Snow forecast shortly so good one to take off the hill. And bet he tastes delicious. 3rd stalk onto a group of 7 hinds with older calves but too many ears and eyes for the conditions we had and spooked these at 500yrds out. Had a chance at a moving deer out to 250yrds later but declined to take the shot. Enjoyed it so much that been asked back and will be going at end of Feb. Very handy as only 90mins drive from where I live in Northern Ireland.

Will, glad to hear you got a result with Alan.

That Doohary area is spectacular. Shot my first red with Alan in that area about 10 years ago.

We were out early after Sika on Saturday, but did not get a result. It was pretty frosty and you could hardly take a step without crunching through the poached ground. There was a fair amount of slots, so there are definitely deer about.

I had intended to stay on for the evening, but I had to head home at lunch time as we had friends coming to stay.

Will be back there this weekend all being well.

Back