Deer Warning Calls

User00004

I have been out a few times now on my bit and it is reasonably close quarter shooting as it's heavily planted ex forrestry, several times now I have bumped a Roe who has shown me it's white bit as it's bounding into the wood. As it's doing this it is also barking at me as it's confirmed that I am not good news for it or others around.

Not 50m away on several times now I have come into contact with another Roe, who didn't run and was not assertive to the dangers although another Roe had given the warning bark. I have also noticed this from Species to Species, I have predominantly Roe but also a good group of Sika, the Sika have again whistled to aleart others in the area which might have signalled the others to dispurse but Roe don't pay any attention what so ever as there have been Roe not 20m from the Sika....

Has anybody else come accross this? Any reason to why this happens?

Cheers

TJ

herding deer will normally react to a warning for a member of there group this is the way they work .Roe deer i have had bark and run across an open area continuing to bark and watched other roe just lift there head and then settle no doubt they will be on an alert but they live on there own or in small groups so will no doubt rely on there own skills of determining dangers.
With regards bumping deer TJ Try going a lot slower and spend more time stationary or you will end up chasing the deer round your Forrest .Canopied forestry is probably the hardest to stalk so needs extra work with regard stalking technique.
ps i do lots of that type of stalking and it is extremely rewarding when things go according to plan.

6.5 x 55 said:
Try going a lot slower and spend more time stationary................Canopied forestry is probably the hardest to stalk so needs extra work with regard stalking technique.
ps....... extremely rewarding when things go according to plan.

I have really learnt that the last couple of times I have been out, this has to be the only ground where there is no open hill/ground of any significant size that I have ever stalked on, I have had to change my whole technique, instead of seeing then stalking, it's more stalking then seeing, I have had 2 the last 2 outings and could have had 2 today but the Buddie I was with wasn't quick enough to get the shot off(First timer, trying to introduce some fresh blood to the "Stalking Bug", that we have).....

Really enjoying the ground, it's hard work, but learning everytime I go out. It's nice to take people with you and teach them also.

TJ

2 from 2 is pretty good going Stu.

If only I had your luck. The patch I have is old broadleaf wood and its a bugger always bumping them.
catch up soon

Jonathon

Back