Syndicate members required

Syndicate members required ?

• Total voters

centralbeltstalker

Hi

following on from a thread regarding good land i have the following question to ask of you all.
Please answer as honestly as you can and if you wish to name yourself please do so.
This is not trying to catch anyone out but an attempt to gauge the facts on recreational stalking lets from the lease holders view.

As all sites vary in size, deer and crop i am basing my question on a long term established crop with no real replant on and i there is any it would be under 10% of lease size.
do not base the question on an over run site with 1000s of new trees to protect.
what i am trying to gauge the % of lease holders who would entertain an out and out slaughter on the lease.

The question is what do you want from your syndicate member

Ps, the three that said that they wanted a guy on the ground all day and night pm me lol always looking for new ground

Last edited:
Frank is this from a Lease holders view point or another syndicate members stand point?

Welcome back

Tahr

I think it would depend on what you need to do on the ground and the memberss. A few mates stalking a small area only needing a few taking off or a large block of forestry that needs the deer thinning out to help with new growth. As long as they stick to what they are entitled to it shouldn't matter. you always get a greedy gun. However i guess the killer would be the least favorite member.

I would want members to take their share of all duties, e.g. siting high seats and boxes, brashing (when required) and other maintainance, record keeping and submitting and of course... hitting planned cull targets, etc. That's to say I would ideally want all members of the syndicate to be "active" contributors and enjoy the whole experience, including a social side too. And... I'm happy to say this is pretty much exactly how our wee syndicate (of 6 now) has always worked, with special thanks to our "captain" :tiphat:

None of your options really define the above so I'm sorry to say I couldn't vote in your poll.

Btw, welcome back Proinsias ;)

+1 Tamus. With a bit fairness and consideration thrown in by each member so that everyone got a share of the cull.

+1 Tamus i have been a member of a couple of syndicates and what is really needed is honesty. Sadly this sport / passion of our has to many back biting wannabees in it.
I am glad to see you syndicate works well trust me its one of a few.

Too vague Frank.

To follow on from Tamus' post which I think highlights the desireable aspects of a syndicate (all doing their bit and getting along):

Does the ground have crop (I include trees) on it that require protecting?

What species of deer are present i.e. is there a threat from them to the crop because of the species?

Does the revenue from any deer shot go back into the pot towards next years rent? I ask this because there is nothing more annoying than one member going 50 times a year, shooting a couple of dozen beasts, and handing money over for their efforst to see someone who shot 6 deer benefit from it as well.

Is there a specific cull figure? Because ethat must surely dictate how often members are expected or required to attend.

I know that availability of ground (or lack of) can mean a considerable effort because of distacnce to attend by members, but I have only ever been involved in 3 syndicates, 2 for deer and 1 for pheasants. The deer syndicates worked because the 4 members were very close friends who all had the same attitude to their stalking and lived similar distances from the ground. The pheasant syndicate was a total nightmare, because the 6 members all thought they knew best (I include myself in that) and the fun went. So did I and left after 2 seasons...

Last edited:
Does the revenue from any deer shot go back into the pot towards next years rent? I ask this because there is nothing more annoying than one member going 50 times a year, shooting a couple of dozen beasts, and handing money over for their efforst to see someone who shot 6 deer benefit from it as well.

Is there a specific cull figure? Because ethat must surely dictate how often members are expected or required to attend./QUOTE]

Strange how different people see things. I used to be a member of a recreational syndicate (3 members) but we did have a cull figure to at least get close to. Due to work commitments I could not get to this ground as often as one of the other guys. He was retired and would go twice per week. This guy would then make comments about him "doing all the work" and he honestly believed that he was doing us a favour. Now I joined this syndicate to recreationally go stalking and if fortunate enough to encounter deer fitting the cull plan to shoot them. My thoughts were that I had paid money to stalk and shoot deer but with this guy "doing all the work" more often than I could, chances of me encountering deer fitting the cull plan was getting less and less. I am not a great fan of syndicates but I would be looking for all members to get a fair crack at the whip for their money.

Is there a specific cull figure? Because ethat must surely dictate how often members are expected or required to attend./QUOTE]

Strange how different people see things. I used to be a member of a recreational syndicate (3 members) but we did have a cull figure to at least get close to. Due to work commitments I could not get to this ground as often as one of the other guys. He was retired and would go twice per week. This guy would then make comments about him "doing all the work" and he honestly believed that he was doing us a favour. Now I joined this syndicate to recreationally go stalking and if fortunate enough to encounter deer fitting the cull plan to shoot them. My thoughts were that I had paid money to stalk and shoot deer but with this guy "doing all the work" more often than I could, chances of me encountering deer fitting the cull plan was getting less and less. I am not a great fan of syndicates but I would be looking for all members to get a fair crack at the whip for their money.

I see your point as well Gazza regarding 'matey' thinking he was doing you a favour! I didn't mean to make it sound like a chore in attending to stalk deer. It was more from the perspective that if the effort is made to stalk and shoot a number required, then any benefit from that may cause a separate issue depending on what happens with any income. So, if as Frank suggests, one of the choices is 'No Concern...' about numbers of visits, I think the rules on matters surrounding carcass disposal also have to be clear. Hence the reason I thought the poll was a bit vague.

Back