Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: written permission

written permission

been speaking to a mate whose a gamekeeper and hes offered to let me shoot the foxes for him and i have asked for this in writing just so i have something to "produce" if needed etc but my question is this: is a letter from my friend enough or does it have to be from the land owner? cheers guys and girls

The gamekeeper is, in the eyes of the licensing bods, the 'servant' of the landowner. So no problem with getting him to sign your permission.

Afterthought.... It might be worth mentioning, introduce yourself to the landowner to let him know that someone else will be shooting there.
    Last edited by Si; 05-01-2012 at 15:01.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

ok nice idea, thanks for that si. i think my mate will be there for the majority of it, i just want to cover mysefl as much as is possible.

Be very careful that your mate really does have the authority to grant others permission to shoot. A cautionary tale...:
    I too was given written permission to shoot over some land as part of a small, informal pigeon syndicate early last year, through a chap I was o nodding terms with from the local clay shoot. I didn't know the landowner, but I was told that this chap was a close family friend of the owner, and that he had been asked to get together some guns to help out with his pigeon problem, hence the small syndicate. I only went with him the once, months ago, and I subsequently grew suspicious over time, through various points of this bloke's demeanour, that the deal didn't quite smell right somehow, and never went back since despite having written permission. By a long coincidence, over the Christmas period I ended up talking to both the landowner and another chap who I've know personally for a while who as it turned out actually does have the shooting rights over the same ground. I had, as it turned out, been given rights over land by someone who had no right to sign permission letters. As you can probably imagine, the land owner was none too pleased to hear that he had people shooting over his land that not only didn't have his permission to do so, but were in possession of permission letters signed by a bloke he'd never heard of. looking back now, it seems so patently obvious that I have been the victim of a petty fraudster (a modest sum was exchanged for syndicate membership, of course), but at the time I was completely taken in by this fellow. As a result of my trusting nature and naivety I had, unwittingly, wandered on to someone's land with a shotgun. By the sheer good fortune of knowing the genuine permission holder I was afforded the opportunity to explain my actions, and as a result no further action will be taken against me as far as I know. This could have ended very differently.
    The moral of this story is make bloody sure you know who you are dealing with when shooting. Sorry to hijack your post, Ziggy. It's embarrassing enough to be writing this on public fora, but I hope at least others can learn from my mistake.

i appreciate you telling the story klunk, anything that can serve as a warning can only be a good thing. ill look a bit further into it than i was originally gpoing too. ive known the lad for a few years so do trust him but ill double check everything.

Ziggy, I think it would very much depend on circumstances. The keeper himself, you would assume, would by virtue of his occupation have permission from the land owner to shoot vermin but that is not to say he has the shooting rights and therefore possibility not in a position to grant others permission to shoot. He may well have an agreement with the landowner to allow others to assist with vermin control and that matter is left up to him/her. but I think I would be clarifying this matter before I went out and bumped into the landowner who may not wish all and sundry to be on his ground with a firearm.

ok, i hear what your saying, ill be speaking with him tonight so should be able to clarify things. thanks for the advice guys

I would have thought only the landowner can give permission !

In the DSC1 material it states the land owner or holder of he shooting rights, so unless the gamekeeper personally holds the shooting rights I don't think he could sign it. If the landowner is happy to do so it would stand you in better stead to get them to sign the permission. The BASC template is quite handy for this kind of thing.

A couple of points to consider. The keeper may be employed by a tenant or some other entity, not necessarily the landowner. Some landowners have nothing directly to do with the management of their property. Secondly, the words need to be backed up by a map indicating the extent of the property to which the permission applies. If you are serious about getting formal written permission, find out who the keeper works for and talk to them in the first instance.

Good luck. JCS