what scope for foxing

hi i have a found a second hand swarovski 8X56,for £450,and find it fine for fox out to over 200 yards under a lamp,cheers

Save up the cash for another month or two. If you can reach to £900 you can buy an excellent ex demo swarovski from MacLeods for £875-£900, you will never regret spending the money. Spend less on the rifle if necessary, but get the best scope you can. Get something with 16x or 18x at the top end for daylight work, 12x is plenty for night work.
Hit it right on the nail head here!

be wary of european 3-12's, some have very fat rets or even ffp which are useless for foxing, i use 6-24x50 swaro on 243 and 8x56 swaro on 25-06, both excellent in the lamp and the variable is magic with the archer, can use it on 24x mag and shoot out to 300y+ in the right ambient light and wind conditions.

running both a 6.5/20x50 and a 4.5/14x44 zeiss conquests, and i have not found anything as clear for the money.

im not sure ill be keeping my 8x56 German when it comes back from Germany at the end of the month, it will be sold on for another 4.5/14x44 zeiss.

bob.

At the MGF this year I bought a scope from MTC it's a 4-16 x 56 illuminated ret scope, the ret is a plain dot and I only paid £100 for it and it's brilliant ! I couldn't justifie spending hundreds for shootin out to 100 yards (HMR)but still when scanning through it it's great out to 350 / 400 yards day and night. It's not branded as it was a trial for there new range but they did have a second one and an awesome purchase it was. I am likely to be wrong but with my eyes I can't see the benefit of spending big money on scopes, in my opinion my eyes arent the best but I can't see that bigger difference and regardless of calibre most of us prefer to shoot fox sub 200 yards and probably average 150 yards regular with sub £100 yards not uncommon either so why the big money on scopes for sub 200 yards ?

I could understand big money on a spotting scope for long distance viewing across land scapes and mountains covering thousands of yards etc but 200 yard work !

As I say this is just my thoughts and as am sure we don't all NEED to have £400 + glass to hunt happily,safely and clearly !

ATB

Matt

Get the best you can afford and shoot within its limits , and your own , I have a custom rifle 20TAC with a z6 scope but most foxes are shot inside 200 yards at night . Its nice to have the kit to hit the long range ones but you dont need it , Im a keeper which means having to get every fox i can but if your not save your cash

I would recommend a Swarovski Z4i 3-12 x 50 scope. Try Macleod & Son in Tain Scotland for ex demo scopes.

I'm sure I read something about a link between Zeiss conquest scopes and Meopta 1" scopes on a US site. Whilst it isnt possible to buy Conquest scopes in the UK officially perhaps the Meopta scopes are as near as dammit the same? Anyone else read the same thing?

I do a lot of spotlighting for feral animal control where I live (Including Fox) with a .223. One of the best scopes for that is a US spec Kahles 3.5-10x50 with plex reticle. I don't know what they sell for in the UK but the coatings make a big difference after dark. The other advantage is that it is very light at 440grams and doesn't over balance the rifle during long sessions on the back of the truck. Worth a look.

I'm sure I read something about a link between Zeiss conquest scopes and Meopta 1" scopes on a US site. Whilst it isnt possible to buy Conquest scopes in the UK officially perhaps the Meopta scopes are as near as dammit the same? Anyone else read the same thing?

Meopta have brought out their Meopro range which looks like it may equate to the budget Zeiss conquest range that was targeted at the mass market in the U.S. where the majority of shooters seem reluctant to pay for the better quality optics. Perhaps this is the link?
I'm not sure but the meopro range may be assembled in the U.S. just like the conquest scopes are. Could be that they are even assembled in the same facility?????

Last edited:
Back