Roe stalking- bullet weights for factory loaded .308 rounds?

farmer_js

I'm relatively new to stalking having made just 3 stalking trips, all for red stags. However, this year I intend to go for roe bucks using my own Tikka Lite .308. I don't home load. What factory made ammunition do experienced stalkers recommend for roe bucks? For red stags, I use 150 grain Federal ammunition. But I thought something lighter might be better for roe stalking? Many thanks...John

Re: Roe stalking- bullet weights for factory loaded .308 rou

farmer_js said:
I use 150 grain Federal ammunition. But I thought something lighter might be better for roe stalking?

Nothing wrong with that for Roe Buddie, everyone likes something different to the next person, I use 150gr's in my .308 and 100gr in my 243, for whatever deer. I try and alternate rifles each outing just for a change......

I have taken Sika, Fallow and Roe with each....

TJ

If you were to use a different bullet weights for different deer, then you would probably find yourself needing to re-zero when changing bullet weights for species. It would be easier on yourself to use the 150's for everything.
That's what I use in my tikka .308 & they are very accurate.

Thanks for all your advice. I like the answers! Pleased to hear that I can stick to 150 for everything. Thanks again.

Roe

i use federal powershok 150gn in my 308 for Roe and Red.

Dont mess with what works. you cannot kill it to much and it should not run far.

Federal powershock 150grs with my .308
home loaded 100 grns for .243 as I've had a few shoot through's (bullet's didn't expand) with 100grn powershock.

John

Just seen this thread - I use 150gr Nosler Ballistic tips in my .308 for everything from muntjac to red with no problem, no excessive meat damage and no reason to change to anything else. Prior to reloading with the BT's I used Federal 150gr Powershok's, which are a fine round as well.

willie_gunn

You won't have a problem with the 150 grain.

It is the weight (well actually 144 grains) that the 308 was designed for in its military original role. Also any much heavier weight in 308 Winchester cartridge specifically and you are really into a bullet designed for the American market to shoot bigger wider and heavier animals.

This may "pencil" on a small roe.

Any much less weight in 308 Winchester cartridge specifically and you are again coming up against a bullet designed for "vermin" such as coyotes that will have maybe a thin jacket for quick "explosive" expansion.

I think 150 is about optimum for ALL your stated purposes in the UK. And no tinkering with zero from roe to red!

Back