buying online

ezzy6.5

Hi lads,
I'm a bit confused over something that i bought online recently.
I bought a pair of trousers online and paid by card as normal. when the trousers came they were the wrong ones. I emailed the company and
while I was on i also asked them for a price for a coat that i fancied.
The price for the coat was a bit to steep so i didnt follow up on it, just sent the trousers back with a letter explaining the problem. Anyway, tonight a parcel arrives with the trousers and the coat in it. No paperwork other than a picking list, no recipt or transaction paperwork.
I have checked my online banking and as of yet I havent been charged for the coat.
My question is, Can they just take money from my account like that? I will be really p***d off if they have because i'm off on Hol on sunday and that account is my spending money.

Ezzy

Hi lads,
I'm a bit confused over something that i bought online recently.
I bought a pair of trousers online and paid by card as normal. when the trousers came they were the wrong ones. I emailed the company and
while I was on i also asked them for a price for a coat that i fancied.
The price for the coat was a bit to steep so i didnt follow up on it, just sent the trousers back with a letter explaining the problem. Anyway, tonight a parcel arrives with the trousers and the coat in it. No paperwork other than a picking list, no recipt or transaction paperwork.
I have checked my online banking and as of yet I havent been charged for the coat.
My question is, Can they just take money from my account like that? I will be really p***d off if they have because i'm off on Hol on sunday and that account is my spending money.

Ezzy

Ezzy,

Just to be clear, you've put taking the money from your account in the past tense - so have they taken it?

It would be very unusual for them not to have processed the transaction at the time of sending. If they have now sent the correct trousers, I'd keep quiet for the moment - particularly if they have not yet refunded the original transaction.

There is a risk that they could take the money - and the answer to your question is 'yes' as they already have an open transaction with you. The reality of the situation I'm afraid is that if they are going to process the transaction, thbey'll do it regardless of whether you tell them and return the goods or not. My advice is definitely to sit tight for the moment - and borrow some cash just in case! You can always return them and get a refund if they do charge you - but it feels like a picking error to me.

Sorry I can't be more definitive, but I think you're in the hands of the Gods (and some poorly paid customer service agents!)

E t R

Ezzy,

two things mate, well sorry three.

Firstly and most importantly, return the coat and or contact instantly stating that you did not want it nor did you order it.
secondly, the card details must be destroyed after use and most online stores would do this, however it is possible for them to store your your details and reuse them time and time again without your permission
lastly, any lost monies by credit card fraud can be reclaimed back by the Cc company and you should be safe and never out of pocket unless you fail to act on point one.

good luck F,

Why not just phone the company advise them of their mistake and ask them to have the item uplifted (you should not be responsible for the return postage).

Or are you thinking ......................Surely not.

Why not just phone the company advise them of their mistake and ask them to have the item uplifted (you should not be responsible for the return postage).

Or are you thinking ......................Surely not.
Probably the most sensible solution, under distance selling regs. you are entitled to a full refund & return within 7 days, do take a look at the coat anyway to see if it's worth the money just in case you have second thoughts?

As Gazza says phone the company , they might just right it off ,if not get them to uplift,the last thing you want is the money leaving your account when you are on holiday

Ezzy- The Company cannot legally take funds from credit card details without your authority. As has previously been stated, your trouser transaction was closed and the retailer cannot then take further funds to pay for the coat.

I had the misfortunate of someone getting my card details and going on a spending spree to the tune of £5K. The matter was followed up via the Bank and the Police and all money was refunded. Bank advised that the retailers cannot/should not process phone or on line transactions without all details and if the transaction is not with the card holder present they have to fulfill 5 checks DOB, security number, name and address of card holder, card no etc. None of the retailers who accepted my stolen card details received funds and lost out but some scoundrel got the goods.

ATB

Depends upon merchant system used. Whilst I know it aggravates some of our customers, we never see their card details - various purely online systems work on this basis.

Obviously if phoning through the details are there - but should not be retained for direct access by vendor.

I think phone call will very likely resolve - in addition to which they need to sort out return postage costs. 99% of places worth their salt will bend over backwards to resolve things and leave you a happy customer ( thats why I walk all funny ;)).

Good luck.

Well I don't think they have taken the money yet. Unless it hasn't shown up on my statements. I have been trying to ring them but they are shut for the weekend. I'm off to Sweden in the morning but will ring them next week to sort it out.

Back