Deer at road side.

davidm

This could be a really novice question. But does anyone ever get called in to deal with deer at the road side on main roads onto prevent RTA or is it o ly after RTA have happenend? It's just while driving along the m8 at 2am last night i spotted a group of 4 roe and within another half mile another group of 2 roe all within 5-10 yards happily feeding from the hard shoulder. I know there would be all sorts of safety concerns but got me thinking.

David no one shoots the area you are talking about and certainly not that close to the roads. The deer are safer there than they are over the hills were there will be 20 hairy assed lurcher lads just waiting for an opportunity :eek:

Near to the fort by any chance.

Being based in Glasgow and working nightshift used to enjoy seeing the deer on the verge at the hard shoulder just where you mention.
A few miles away on the new section of the M77 there are lots of them on the verge even during the day and at rush hour times.
They even have warnings displayed on the overhead gantry warning you of deer on the verge.
As 6pointer says, its safer there. Some of the scheme dwellers are breeding lurchers and greyhounds with Staffies specifically to hunt them.

Bob there away now mate but were culled humainly.

Culling that close to the road net work is not for the faint hearted.

13-8-2011016.jpg

Know where you mean on the m77 as well bobthedug, used to enjoy passing them as well when heading home from work just before dark.

These are a traffic hazard but if you shot at them you would have your F.A.C. revoked and be before the courts.
[ Picture missing, I will try again !]

HWH.

EireOCT07andRoeDoes104.jpg

Last edited:
nice pictures. Yeah a knew if you ever dared present a firearm and use it so close to a main road they would have your FAC before you could speak. I was curious if anyone was called out for such activity by police or such to prevent RTA's knew it was a long shot but was curious. ATB David

I was driving to work down the M5 near Bridgewater last autumn when a young stag ran down the grass verge about 20 yards in front of me. The deer hesitated and then started to move into the road in front of me. I hit the brakes and the horn which did no good and was waiting for the impact when the lorry behind hit its horn, and luckily for mr the deer turned and ran back up the grass verge. at that point it was maybe 5 yards in front of the bonnet when it turned.. I did wonder what the law was on removing deer like these.

As I was driving my wifes Citreon C1 that day I think I would have come a very poor 2nd if the deer and I had collided.

Big thanks to the lorry driver behind me with the big horn :eek: who saved my day.

Regards

Matthew

Well i do shoot close to roads its what we do and as long as you are safe there is no law that says you cannot. IF YOU EVER NEED TO DO IT BE VERY AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING. But stags picture says it all not a safe shot but might become safe as the deer move out abit.

road side culls can happen but it's a case of a complete road closure for a few hours while the team works down the road at night in the early hours. This happened on the A9 recently but from what I heard they didn't shoot that many. It takes a lot of planning and on the night you're timetabled for you might have worst of conditions for it.

A cull did take place on the A9,sure it took place over a week road was closed for 2hrs a nite around Dunkeld i think,heard about a dozen shot,Fallow,there had been quite a few involved in RTA,s and thats why it was done,soz not much info but that was the reason

If any one has info on this i would love to know the full story how many did it have any effect on RTA,s what was the reaction to the road closer etc.

six pointer about the deer on m77 seen four on one side and three on other side near the shopping complex,so there still there.that was only last week at twelve in the afternoon.

When we visit my parents we have the odd trip down to Trago Mills. Driving back in the dark the verge was full of Roe up near Haldon racecourse and the big, long hill (name escapes me) before you join the M5. Haven`t seen the numbers of late so i presume they got knocked back. Strangely enough, although there were a large number there you never saw one that had been run over.
basil.

Back