Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 Course

DSC1 Course

hi fellas.

my family life and work situation are finally allowing me to take the DSC1,

Can anyone point me at any training resources?

I am waiting to hear back from the BASC as to where the courses are this year "up north".

Does anyone know of any courses around my area (County Durham)?

thanks for any help with this.

Have a look here mate:
    Should be all you need to get started

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    If you can sourse a Deer Quest CD it helps, it is out of date now and no longer produced, (was made prior to Oct 07) The Deer Seasons on it are incorrect and so is the section that covers LEGAL deer calibers. So long as you are aware of this it's not a problem.

The Meat Handling/Hygiene questions are "Common Sense", but still read the section in the DSC 1 training manual.

The practicle rifle assessment is reasonably straight forward, just be aware of "Your" bad habbits. I have some, as I'm sure some others on here have. (crossing a fence comes to mind for me). So long as you do what the book says, you will be fine.

I didn't think it was a hard course, but you do need read the book and if you do the whole course, not just the test days, ask as many questions as you like, remember, if your thinking of it, someone else will be also.

There will be experienced people on the course as there was on mine and total novices, knowone knows everything but with an open forum course like mine was, everyone passed on what experience they had from open hill stalking to woodland stalking to taking the shot to shot reaction, carcass handling, law the whole "Shabang".

My course was very well run and the instructors were all passionate about Stalking and were there to answer all questions, or they found out the answers if they didn't know off hand.

Enjoy it and relax into it, don't be worried about the tests.

Good Luck

The BDS do (or did) the DSC1 up in your neck of the woods on some military ground I think.

The other option is Jon Snowdon(?) of Greenlees.

He seemed keener if you were going to stay over rather than travel in each day.

I did mine with Dave Stretton of Donnington (BASC) and he was spot on. I did it online and then travelled down for the assessment day. Didnt mind the travel as he was excellent. He also offers the course in a single hit of 3 or 4 days together if you want to get it out the way.

Best of British

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Nairn, Inverness-shire

otterburn, in May. Probably not military at all. Sack cloth and ashes for me

Otterburn has an MOD shooting range as well.

If you fancy nipping just over the border, I can recommend Ron Rose at Eskdalemuir; I had a great time.

Thanks for the replies fellas..

I think Greenlees is the best bet, its only 45 minutes drive from my house.

I have emailed them asking for availability...

I cant find any mention of Deer Quest CD, has anyone got any ideas where I might pick up a copy?

thanks for your help

If you send me a pm with your address I will post you a copy. Excellent learning tool although as already mentioned out of date in some areas.