Hannoverian or Bavarian

SteveOh

Hi fellas.

Just reading a little about deer dogs and would like to ask a quicky.

Are Hannoverian and Bavarian seperate breeds?

if so what pros and cons does each breed have?

thanks for any help :oops:

Hannoverian or Bavarians

Hi steveOh,
I have to firstly declare an interest in that I am secretary of the Bavarian Mountain Hound Society. The Bavarian and Hannoverian are separate breeds but basically do the same job. Hannoverians are taller and heavier, unfortunately they are not a KC recognised breed in the UK. Bavarians are now a recognised breed and members of the Society should breed to the club ethic of only breeding from stock that has been hip tested.
Puppies of both breeds are in short supply.
For more information about the breed see:
http://www.bavarianmountainhoundsociety.org.uk/
or
www.paintandpins.com

Any questions, please feel free to get in touch.

The Bavarians were also in Shooting Times this week, so see other comments there.
Regards
Alison

Mix the two together and get the best of both worlds :evil: :evil: :evil:

DSCF0021.jpg

Or the worst :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mark

C'mon Andy.. Marks ears are much smaller.... :confused:

thanks for the replies folks.....

I've taken it all on board.....

Andy
how is alfie coming along?
Alison
so glad you are free to answer any such questions, impartialy
as the bavarian must now almost be 100 years old
what percentage would you say it's make up is of hanoverian strain?
over the last 12 months, quite a few bavarian owners has commented on how much better thier dogs are over a hanoverian :confused:
since thier dogs actually derived from probaly 50/50 breeding in generations past
but i will say it is a remarkable acheivement to get the bavarian reconised on it's own status within the KC
stone

Hi Stone

The Bavarian was bread by "crossing" dare I say it a Hannoverian Schweisshund with a Tiroler Bracke, in approx 1833 it became a breed. the Hannoverian predates that by about 100 years.
roter_ruede.jpg

The Tiroler is a lighter air scenting hound.

Mark

I see that a lot of people have a Hanoverian/Bavarian cross rather than a Bavarian.

Is there any benefit to having a cross ?

I'm looking to get a Hound pretty soon and would like some impartial advice please...

Hi Steve

Speaking impartially your choice will be subjective.
If you want to use your hound for tracking there is no difference between the types whatever people say in the UK. We are not tracking wounded wild boar following a driven hunt.
Most advice is the UK is based on anecdotal evidence rather than fact based knowledge of the breeding liniage or working traditions on any of these hounds. A lot of the good text books /articles are writen in German
I have had experience with all three hounds both here and in Germany, the owners training will have more bearing on the hounds abilities than the canine genetics. Remember these are all HOUNDS and behave in a hound like manner. Ie nose down and sod off to the rest of you :lol:
The Hannoverians are much heavier and broader dog than the Bavarians.
If you want to breed puppies than a pure breed means you can charge a premium and join a breeders club, but the tracking wont improve relative to the price you pay
The bottom line is which type appeals to you aesthetically and domestically and does pedigree/price matter to you.

Mark

It is almost a family re-union.

My Hannoverian/Bavarian, Gabi. Lola's pup and Alfie's sister??

gabi2.jpg

Hi Chaps

Lola is well impressed by her offspring. Fine hounds

Here's a pic from an early training session with mum :lol:

100_1190.jpg

Mark

Bavarians etc

I won't let me be drawn in to which is better, as it is almost entirely a personal choice. At the end of the day, you have to like the dog and live with it.
I agree that Bavarians are a mixture of older breeds and like the Hannoverian is entirely bred for purpose.
Again the difference mainly is that the Hannoverians are larger, as they are not KC registered in the UK, they are sometimes cheaper as puppies and crosses are considerably cheaper still. All of the breeds are in quite short supply and consequently are still relatively expensive.
As with any major dog purchase, a lot is in the genetics, the breeding and it's early puppy hood, so you are looking for a pup from someone who you would trust to provide a good pup.
From a Bavarian point of view, are the parents registered, why have the dog and bitch been bred and are the parents hipscored. Other than that, do you like what you see.
Ultimately you like what you like.
In respect of are they better than Hannoverians, I would think by now, everyone knows everyone as the best dog, much better than your own, better behaved, better trained. So be the judge of that when you visit the dam and pups, 'cos really there is no right answer, what suits one person doesn't suit another. It will also depend on the ground you are on as to whether you need a lighter more agile dog or a heavier more tenacious one.

To Sika Malc,
I think you meant where are my dogs from? All my dogs are imported from the continent.

Anything else please ask.
Regards
alison

Back