converting my garage to get my VDL - part 2.

david1976

Following on from a previous post of mine regarding getting my garage set up so i can get my VDL.

Got a load of stand up shelves from b&q at the weekend £20 each and some plastic storage boxes to put on them to keep things tidy (courtesy of the local councils recycling boxes :lol: ) Also got some plastic shower curtains from ikea about £0.87 each to hang over the front to prevent splashes.

Am arranging another shower curtain on the wall with three hanging on another three sides to make a box shape from which i will prepare my venison from the inside. Also putting one across the beams above to stop things from falling in.

Could anyone point me in the direction for getting the following so i am ready to for my inspection and application.

1. Stainless steel table
2. A pulley
3. a double doored coca cola fridge

I have also bought some muslin curtains from ikea with the idea of placing a hula hoop top and bottom and hanging the deer within to air before placing in the cooler. If anyone has done this please post a picture so i can get a picture in my head.

When my garage is finished and i have my VDL i will post pics of the setup for you all to see.

Cheers.

David.

Hi David,
I have said stainless bench looking for a home, I'm in South bucks, Uxbridge. Any good to you? P.M. if you are interested.
Mark

Airing?

Not sure why you want to 'air' it really. Most important is to get it chilled ASAP. Most chillers, including drinks fridges have a circularory fan which is excellent as it effectively dries the carcass whilst chilling. I've got a spare double coke fridge which is pretty rough but works. PM me if you are near East Anglia and want it. :)

Re: Airing?

Monkey Spanker said:
Not sure why you want to 'air' it really. Most important is to get it chilled ASAP. Most chillers, including drinks fridges have a circularory fan which is excellent as it effectively dries the carcass whilst chilling. I've got a spare double coke fridge which is pretty rough but works. PM me if you are near East Anglia and want it. :)

I was planning to use the muslin and hula hoops out in the field for hanging the carcasses so that in the summer time, the flies do not lay onto it.

I would also like to use it to hang the carcass to cool naturally in the garage before placing it in a chiller. The reason being that in the past i have shot a deer first thing in the morning and despite hanging in the shade all day, when i have cut open the ribcage later in the afternoon in my garage it has still been hot and full of steam.

It's maybe just a personal preference i think :)

its always best to let the carcass cool to the ambient temp before chilling it. Otherwise you get the meat being 'shocked' by the sudden chill and it can then be tough. Its what I've always been taught anyway.

Cheers

Gareth

Back