Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camo or not

Camo or not

Following on from my waterproof jacket thread, I thought I would post up my thoughts on today for discussion!!!!!

Ok now if you were too buy a new jacket would you opt for camo or not? And if camo which pattern?

Ive decided if I was to buy a camo waterproof it will be DPM, the reason for this is I personally thought these new hardwoods camos are too bright for forestry Stalking. Hang 1 on a Spruce walk away then look at it, we would be better conceled going out with a bright shirt on and waving a flag IMO. I also believe the best cloth for Stalking is Tweed but getting a good waterproof tweed isnt easy unless the Musto range is bought.

Now i believe camo is good for breaking up a solid outline but lets be honest are deers eye sight that good? Years ago before these new paterns came across the pond old Keepers would use either ex-army jackets, Tweeds jackets and Wax proofed jackets.

However if I was in mixed broad leaved woods then the hardwoods would be a go to, but I still believe the DPM would just be as good. Just as Ive Max-4 for wildfowling but again there is nowt wrong with DPM and Ive probably killed as many geese and ducks wearing DPM as i have wearing Max-4.

Has our sport been too Americanised? Lets face it our quarry hasnt involved into a race of super animals!!

Over to you, floors open to discussion.

I currently use a Realtree AP Jacket and green trousers.

When I get my next Jacket I will go back to green and keep the AP Jacket for pigeon shooting.

For spruce / evergreen forests the most effective camos I have come across is the Danish and Swedish camo. Brit DPM (not multicam) is designed as the most effective in all "green" enviroments. It does very well.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

Interesting lads. I see there aint too many wishing to post on this discussion though!!!!

It seems to me that most stalkers aren't bothered at all by clothes other than having a "known" label. Ask a pigeon shooter about camo choice and that would be rather more involved!
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian

dpm id rather joe public not see me either.

I have a dpm ex army smock cost five quid and I wear it in the summer. Everything else I wear is non camo. Nomad pants in green, ridge line smock in green, chameu's in green just diff shades. Can't say I have ever noticed a difference between the greens and the dpm. I shot my first roe buck wearing blue denim and a red 'lumberjack' shirt.

+1 for the Danish flectarn, especially in coniferous surroundings.

+1 for German flectarn works well in forestry blocks but the best cammo is just to stand still.