How do I make it Stiff

Landy1

Hi ,I am looking for some advise , I bought a remington 700 with a factory fit synthetic stock. I have tried to float the barrel and have taken a fair amount of the interior away,and succeded until I put the wild cat mod back on and it just causes the front end to flex and the barrel touches the stock again. I have had various suggestions of fibre glass filler ,car filler ,epoxy resin but dont want to go down the wrong route and ruin the stock . Can anyone advise me the best course to take and where to get whats needed.

Thanks

Dick

Dick change the stock am i right in thinking that your rifle is the SPS model ? try Mcmillan stocks for Rem's there are tumps of styles to suit any taste .

+1 change the stock the Remmy stocks are crap i struggled on for over a year fired loads of rounds off tried altering the stock in the end i bought a second hand Mc Millan stock £100 problem solved

Griffshrek you are right thats its the SPS , in .243 , I also have a 30-06 which I put in a Bell and Carlson and thats fine but I was trying not to go to the expense of a new stock . I will probably have to go down that route but wanted to try first , I am sure that there must be something out there on the market

Ta Dick

Hi ,I am looking for some advise , I bought a remington 700 with a factory fit synthetic stock. I have tried to float the barrel and have taken a fair amount of the interior away,and succeded until I put the wild cat mod back on and it just causes the front end to flex and the barrel touches the stock again. I have had various suggestions of fibre glass filler ,car filler ,epoxy resin but dont want to go down the wrong route and ruin the stock . Can anyone advise me the best course to take and where to get whats needed.

Thanks

Dick

You can get a stock from here for around £100 which is a bargain compared to anything in this country http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Monte-Carlo-Replacement-Stocks-for-Remington-Rifles-s/166.htm they make some nice stocks for sure

From personal experience even if you pillar bed it there is not enough epoxy in there to make it reliably stiff, but it's good fun trying.

I followed the article on 6mmbr using Devcon from midway.
Cost me around £60 all together and the end result was OK but I was still not happy with the rifle so I fitted an AICS stock.

There are more than one issues with the sps stock.
Stiffness is one and missing compression strength in the inlet area another but worst of all the egonomics of
the SPS sporter plastic is horrible.
Stiffening is doable and I've done a few. One has to invest a lot of work and the end result is still a sps stock.
The best way of stiffenening a forend is to create a sandwich structure further forward and have a fibre reinforced
bedding system. The bedding must be loaded with long fibres that run up the forend, only chance of getting it stiff.
Pillars are vital too.
A pillar bedded wooden stock is mostly better than a sps plastic stock, even better are composite stocks. Of the composite
stocks carbon fibre is the king.
My suggestion.... do a quicky bedding with a steel epoxy, open the barrel channel really generously and
save money for a better stock.
A well bedded good stock is the quickest way of improving accuracy and repeatability on a factory rifle.
My 243 sps sporter shot under 9mm groups at 100yds and 1" groups at 300yds after bedding in a composite stock.

Lousy example of a quick fix on a howa plastic stock, it did improve things slightly.
edi
DSCN2560.jpg

if you want a botch job that will work and cost pence then get yourself some stainles steel square section bar, and reinforce the forend, bed it in with epoxy. £20 ish, job done but extra weight.

If your really "thrifty", just unscrew the front swivvel pin from the front of the stock and move it back towards the trigger guard, + remember to check your not compressing the stock onto the barrel as you take each shot.

Tupperwear is great for sandwich boxs, not so good for stocks!

Skipp

How about aluminium T section inlet and bedded into the forearm ?
T section is cheap enough from B&Q.

Neil. :)

3 easy steps to solve this problem completely

1: remove stock

2: Throw it as far away as possible

3: Buy a McMillan, or Manners stock

Works every time!!

If one wants to stiffen a bit of plastic thn simply drop it int eh freezer. It will become stiff :D.

However I cannot see why people pay good money for a piece of junk. If you don't want problems like this then buy something decent in the first place.............................. harsh but sorry it's the fact. All the time you lot pay for this junk they will happily turn it out and sell it to you. The answer to the problems is in you hands and wallet................................ Don't buy the cheap tat and they will have to improve it or go bust.

As above. Chuck it in the bin and put a decent stock on. Can recommend AICS, if perhaps a bit heavy for stalking.

Nothing wrong with the Remy stock. I have 2 SPS's and they both group sub half inch groups with the right ammo.
Al

Who shots a CAMEL?:eek:

Come on, you must know the old chestnut about the French Foreign Legion, the new camp commander and the camel. Looks like she nailed the competition...

And... was the barrel on that rifle really that length before she wrapped her hand round it?

Back