Night Vision Advice

Nomis

Hello,

Can anyone advise on a NV scope that would be best for foxing on my .204, is the Pulsar N550 the best value for money or is it worth saving up the extra for a Gen2??

Many thanks
Simon

Well, what a question. Heres another one. How long is a piece of string?
Simple answer http://www.starlightnv.co.uk/ Grade D archer. Will do all you need. And it's gen 3
There are lots of reasons for buying different NV kit. Money usually is a bit of a factor.
But others such as the land you shoot over, the distance you want to shoot over, etc etc.

They are.

I use mine weekly. But there is a knack to using it correctly. You have to take time setting it up correctly. There are others and there are pros and cons to everything but I like mine and wouldn't be without it. I wrote a review on a different forum I can point you to if your interested.

Hello,Can anyone advise on a NV scope that would be best for foxing on my .204, is the Pulsar N550 the best value for money or is it worth saving up the extra for a Gen2??Many thanksSimon
My advice would be get the highest generation that you can as the earlier Gen Intensifier tubes are less resilient to bright lights. For example a Gen 1 tube may be damaged but the flash of a car or gun lamp as it crosses your field of vision. The lated tubes have automatic gain control that helps to reduce this damage. Some can be used in daylight without any damage.

Thanks everybody, I had not come across starlight before. I would be interested in reading your review Singing Stalker, I expect to be shooting at about 100m and not any further than 200m could you further explain about the knack of getting the setup correct?

Hello

I use a Pulsar N550 Digisight, and twinned with a Laserluchs Laser IR, or indeed Pulsar's relatively inexpensive new L-808 Laser, it is a formidable device. Even in low ambient light with the L-808 i can comfortably use it for spotting small ground game out to 150meters.

I have vast experience in night vision use, and can honestly say the N550 would be my first choice when it comes to budget night vision.

Using the word "budget" for a 1000 piece of NV kit might be frowned upon but having used many Gen 2+ devices over the years, you really do need to spend almost double that to get comparable performance, certainally for rimfire and centrefire ranges out to 200meters.

I have used a few 3k pieces of junk that really beg the question that you should always try something before you buy it.

Should you be interested, Scott Country offer a "try at home" demo Digisight, where you can borrow it for 7 days and try it in the field.

There is lots of heresay in Night Vision and I urge you to try kit before you make your decision as the Digisight does take a lot of beating and it, like any product, has fans and foes, but people who have used them properly will tell you how they take a lot of beating for the cash.

Mike Powell from Sporting Rifle uses lots of night vision kit for example, and his own device is an N550 Digisight.....

Thanks for reading

Paul

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk

Last edited:
Paul,

What a brilliant idea, why not hire this equipment out? not many use NV every day, it seems a good idea when you buy it only to spend the vast majority of its life in the cupboard with all the other great ideas you had before, hiring them would open a whole new market.

Should you be interested, Scott Country offer a "try at home" demo Digisight, where you can borrow it for 7 days and try it in the field.

Great offer, try before you buy.

I used a digiscope which was fitted on a .270 when I very first went out after wild boar. At that time I didnt have boar specified on my certificate, so we used the estate rifle. I tested the rifle and scope in daylight and all seemed to work fine, at night I fired at a boar, the scope went black and you couldnt see anything through the scope. I have often suspected the device was not set up properley and would like to see it fitted to a full bore rifle .308 .270 w.h.y. to see if it does function with those calibres, perhaps a video Paul?

P.S. The archer works really well, used it several times.

Last edited:
Hiring out has issues sadly, and we are so busy the admin alone would take up too much time.

We have a couple of demo N550's that are always back and forth to magazines and for demo etc, and we basically let customers take them home (conditions apply of course) for 7 days, and either return them in the same condition they were sent out in) and dont go ahead with the sale, or we send them a brand new boxed sealed unit (without further postage) the same day we get the return unit back.

I can honestly say we have never to my knowledge had someone return one and not go ahead, they have been a seriously popular device for us!

Paul

I should have added one of our demo units is on long term test for a month with a top magazine, the other is available for demos.

We will be organising a properly hosted night vision evening when the weather is a little better, so will post details here!

Also you can come and see us on the BBC Countryfile stand at the NEC end of June and try the kit there too if you like!

Regards

Paul

Here is the review of the Archer. Remembering I am not a dealer but a big fan of them. And I'm not knocking dealers.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=338

I have never tried the Pulsar. I have tried a digital add-on before and I personally didn't like it. But it is cheaper than a Gen 3. The Archer set up is all about getting the distance between the NV unit and the scope right to get correct focus. Just think of looking through binoculars and not being able to focus the image from being fuzzy. Well, when you use the illuminator on NV the eyshine can be very bright and cause image problems. Sorry I'm not explaining it very well. So you need to set it up and test it by shining it on a rabbit to check the image is very clear.
It's not difficult, takes longer to type it than do it.

But as rightly said you really need to try before you buy. That is very important. Find out if there is anybody local who will let you have a look through theirs.
I think there is another NV meeting being organised up Sheffield way the end of Feb which gives people a chance to view all sorts of units. Bit of a hike. I organised one down my neck of the woods back Sept/October and we had some interesting kit. But no Pulsars. We did have nitesite come down and a lot of guys were interested in that.
I havn't thought about organising another one for feb but I might ask the guys if they are interested.

Unfortunately it a bit like asking which is better a .223, .222 or a .22-250. We all have our favourites and opinions. If you want to have a chat offline PM me your number and I will give you a call. Save me typing as this sort of thing comes up all the time. :D

Paul,
On a previous thread someone recommended a Pulsar 550 monocular.
Could you tell me how far away I would be able to spot foxes/rabbits please ?
Also would you be able to do a sale or return deal on one ?
Thanks,

Nick

Have to agree with SC that for £1000 all in the Pulsar is a good bit of kit. My mate had one and with the IR it gave a great picture and abioity to shoot foxes at acceptable ranges.

Nick 100, thank you for your enquiry.

The Pulsar Recon 550 i presume he is referring to.

It is available in two models, the Recon 550, and 550X as well as an R550 which has a built in recorder.

Well on paper the Pulsar Recon 550 (non X model) as a MRVR range of 250meters.

This is essentially lab conditions, man sized object, ideal conditions with a half moon light.

I have used the device extensively and comfortably you will be able to spot ground mammals to approx 100meters, in part moonlight.

Add on a Bolt on IR Flashlight such as the 940 or L-808 and you will significantly extend this range, and also increase clarity in dark nights.

You can find out more on the range here

http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/products_list.asp?categories=636

The X550 is a different animal and uses similar tech to the Pulsar Digisight N550 and therefore has an increased viewing range of an MRVR of 500m (again ideal conditions)

If you want to have a chat about the range feel free to give me a call, no sales pressure whatsoever I promise you.

Regards

Paul

I used a digiscope which was fitted on a .270 when I very first went out after wild boar. At that time I didnt have boar specified on my certificate, so we used the estate rifle. I tested the rifle and scope in daylight and all seemed to work fine, at night I fired at a boar, the scope went black and you couldnt see anything through the scope. I have often suspected the device was not set up properley and would like to see it fitted to a full bore rifle .308 .270 w.h.y. to see if it does function with those calibres,

any chance of a videoPaul?

Back