Thread: Barrel length and noise suppression

Barrel length and noise suppression

I have just had the barrel on my Anshutz 1416 .22lr cut down to 40cm which is about 15 inches.

Assuming my application for a mod is accepted, I would like to know if there will be a discernable difference in the noise suppresion with the shorter barrel? I have another standard length .22lr which is whisper quiet.....Im not so sure if my newly cut down 1416 is going to be as quiet.

Many thanks for the help

Last edited by Conor1; 10-01-2012 at 20:48.

With sub sonic ammo you will never notice the difference.

as above, my 12.5" cz is still nice and quiet with subsonics.

The only downside of a chopped barrel I ever noticed (and this was an HMR not an LR) was the increased wear on the baffels, which was probably due to the gasses being a little hotter than they might be in a 20" barrel.

I found no difference in noise or accuracy when I chopped my .22LR from 20" to 12.5", using a SAK moderator and sub-sonic ammunition. Just a muted 'phut' and the sound of the firing pin striking, followed by the unmistakeable 'thud-crunch' of a 40gn hollowpoint hittlng a rabbit's head...

Thanks for the feedback.

Glad to hear that cutting a barrel in half doesn`t impede the performance the gun. I tested a Brugger&Thomet silencer and was very disappointed as the crack was still pretty loud. As mentioned in a previous thread, the Weihrauch silencer muted the report completely but I now understand that is for pellet guns only. I hope the SAK or PH will do the job properly.

Many thanks