drinks chillers

ksb

can anyone post a couple of pics of how they converted drinks chiller for hanging deer. It is only fallow at this stage that i stalk and would like to be able to hang 2 deer. Basically i want to know how a rail was fitted to take the weight and if there are any gotchas to sealing the chiller again if the structure has to be drilled to allow a strong fixing etc

thanks in advance
keith

All you need is a pull up bar to hang beasts from. I can fit four roe in at a time no problem. Will try and get a couple of pictures up for you.

Regards, Dan

Shameless bump. :D

I'd quite like to see the various ways people have approached this as well.

Shooting only really roe deer, I bought a fridge off ebay from a sandwich shop closing down (not a drinks chiller), think it was fifty quid. I drilled a hole through the top, made a large x shaped steel plate wich distributes the load and then bought a stainless steel bolt-with-eyelet like those used for chaining bikes etc to brick walls. Few washers and a bit of silicon sealant and jobs a gooden for less than sixty quid. Had three roe in it with no problems, in fact the only problem I had was when I turned it up to high and froze one of my carcasses!:eek:

typical i bought the chiller and fabricated a bracket to hang the deer and havent seen hide nor hair of a deer since. i will post a couple of pics later of how i went about modifying the chiller. I didnt want to drill holes in the chiller as it was practically brand new and i may sell it on at some stage so i used the four vertical shelf rails that are fitted inside the chiller and made a couple brackets and a bar to run across the width of the chiller.

keith

Although I bought a walk-in chiller rather than a drinks cabinet, I still had to address the issue of how to hang the overhead rails. For ease of cleaning/hygiene reasons I didn't want any legs touching the floor, so had to come up with something else. In the end, I pop-rivetted some brackets to the sides so that I wouldn't have to drill right through the top. As is my way, I somewhat over-engineered the solution - but at least they won't fall off in a hurry!

typical i bought the chiller and fabricated a bracket to hang the deer and havent seen hide nor hair of a deer since.

Always the same isn't it when i set mine up the first things to go in were two of a mates, then the old man put a sheep in it :old:.

Was about eight weeks before i put it to use :rolleyes:.

Just picking up on this older thread, a lot of you lad’s use converted drinks coolers, as do I.

I thought some of you may be interested in a little “add on” I built for mine. It adds that bit more versatility especially at this time of year.

Hopefully, it can be seen from the photos that the construction is simply two bits of stainless angle section braced across at the desired width with ½” round stainless stock drilled and tapped. Then four pieces of the same angle section welded in position to support two lengths of 16mm thick walled tube, which are removable to accommodate either pheasants (tied Cock/Hen) or legged rabbits etc.

Two of these shelve units can comfortably hold a couple of dozen birds or a dozen rabbits in my cooler.

JD
Rack 2.jpgRack 1.jpg

Did you manage to get the shelves with the chiller? I just put one shelf in as high up as it will fit and then use s hooks off the shelf, holds the weight of 2 Fallow bucks or several Roe without a problem and no messing about drilling etc..

Did you manage to get the shelves with the chiller? I just put one shelf in as high up as it will fit and then use s hooks off the shelf, holds the weight of 2 Fallow bucks or several Roe without a problem and no messing about drilling etc..
Hi Mick,
Yes, I can see that your idea would work just fine. I do have the original shelves; I tend to use them for batches of Cumberland sausages and of course beer!!

Have attached a photo of the arrangement I cobbled together for when I’m lucky enough to harvest a beast or two. It works well, the more load on it the better it fits. Plus it’s easy to slide out and clean.

[FONT=&quot]JD
[/FONT]

Attachments

• Rack 3.jpg
    Rack 3.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 88
I made a frame consisting of a white wardrobe rail used as an upright on each side of the chiller with a u-bend on top of each and a smaller piece of wardrobe rail across the top.
All bits are from b & q, cost only a few quid and no drilling or modification needed done to the chiller. If you cut the upright to the exact size, the frame will just jam in place.

A type 51 metpost metal bracket (fence bracket) fits over the top and a nail through the holes in it enable an s-hook to hold the deer gambrel.
Maybe it sounds complicated but it's very simple
There's not a lot of vertical height in my chiller and this arrangement makes the most of it, ideal for roe.
I don't have any pictures but can take some if anyone would like.

fraser

Last edited:
Back