Disgusted

devilishdave

Pointing weapons at each other on the IT article, I have seen it allnow, these people are so irresponsible they should be closed down if they cantcensor them selves!!

Dave

Seems to be common place nowadays. I saw one recently where a girl was pointing a shotgun at the camera.
What`s been instilled into young shooters for generations is undone in 30 minutes. :cuckoo:

I've just emailed davidATfieldsportschannel.tv and charlieATfieldsportschannel.tv with the following:
"
Chaps,

I know the show is meant to be light hearted and all in all you do a
great job. Episode 111, 11th Jan 2012 4:50 in - two guys larking about
pointing a rifle at each other.

Sorry, really not good enough, we should ALL know that this is
completely unacceptable practice and should not be what we are showing
to the public out there.

Maybe you think it's dull and boring etc, but we HAVE to uphold the
highest standards of safety to ensure we keep our sport.

Sorry to have a moan, but it is VERY important

Thanks

Adam"

just watched video. and i think that the camera on the scope is set at an angle slightly right of where the rifle is pointing but my initial reaction would be the same as everyone else so far. "though it may unloaded be never point a gun at me"

ok i take it back just watched the rest on the nv bit and yes clearly pointing at the camera man. bolt is open but would make me a bit twitchy to say the least

Last edited:
Just had this response from David

"hi Adam

thanks for the mail. you are absolutely right and we should have put a line in saying and showing the rifle to be safe...thanks for your support and please keep watching.

best wishes

David"

Well apart from the obviouse faux par I thought it was the best thing I have seen for a long time. Is it right that they are connected with sporting rifle?

Regards

Mark

Just had this response from David

"hi Adam

thanks for the mail. you are absolutely right and we should have put a line in saying and showing the rifle to be safe...thanks for your support and please keep watching.

best wishes

David"

I hope you replied saying no you should never point a rifle at anyone regardless of if its safe or not...

It sometimes happens that journalists want a photo taken from the business end: it makes for a more striking image and suits a "portrait" format. When taking such a photo it is standard practice for the photographer to confirm with the "model" holding the gun that there are no rounds in the chamber(s)/magazine before the former steps in front of the latter to take the images he wants. The discussion on this thread so far seems to imply that this practice is unacceptable. Is such a deliberate check not adequate grounds for breaking this most golden of rules? Thinking about it, print journalism never depicts the process of "showing clear" before such photos are taken, so should we expect this from video-based reports?

Mr Gain, the problem isn't the cameraman stepping in front of the lens, it's the clear depiction of them pointing the rifle at the bloke that is an issue.

A gun should NEVER point at anything you don't want to shoot, unloaded or not. There are times when it's acceptable to stand in front of the muzzle, for example when coaching, but only when the person stepping in the firing line has assured themselves physically that the weapon is unloaded.

The "look at us, aren't we zany" attitude displayed doesn't seem to bode well for general gun safety, and is a very poor example to set. No amount of "lines put in saying and showing the rifle to be safe" will persuade me otherwise.

+1 matt_hooks

"
Never, never let your gun
Pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be
Matters not the least to me."

Mr Gain, the problem isn't the cameraman stepping in front of the lens, it's the clear depiction of them pointing the rifle at the bloke that is an issue.

A gun should NEVER point at anything you don't want to shoot, unloaded or not. There are times when it's acceptable to stand in front of the muzzle, for example when coaching, but only when the person stepping in the firing line has assured themselves physically that the weapon is unloaded.

The "look at us, aren't we zany" attitude displayed doesn't seem to bode well for general gun safety, and is a very poor example to set. No amount of "lines put in saying and showing the rifle to be safe" will persuade me otherwise.

I'm not condoning, or even commenting on, the conduct of the FSTV people. But surely there's a contradiction in your second paragraph? Either never means never, or one can make controlled exceptions to the general rule. This is not to question or diminish the importance of the rule, simply to recognise that there are specific times when it does not apply.

I agree Mr Gain. However I would say that "pointing your gun" at someone is a lot different to someone intentionally stepping in front of the weapon having personally checked the weapon safe. If I step in front, I take the choice and the risk. If YOU point your gun at me, then expect to get shouted at (at best)

I had to learn the poem before I was allowed anywhere near a gun!

A Fathers AdviceIf a sportsman true you'd be
Listen carefully to me. . .
Never, never let your gun
Pointed be at anyone.
That it may unloaded be
Matters not the least to me.
When a hedge or fence you cross
Though of time it cause a loss
From your gun the cartridge take
For the greater safety's sake.
If twixt you and neighbouring gun
Bird shall fly or beast may run
Let this maxim ere be thine
"Follow not across the line."
Stops and beaters oft unseen
Lurk behind some leafy screen.
Calm and steady always be
"Never shoot where you can't see."

You may kill or you may miss
But at all times think this:
"All the pheasants ever bred
Won't repay for one man dead."

But at all times think this:
"All the pheasants ever bred
Won't repay for one man dead."

thats the nub of it. My son and I quite enjoy fieldsports britain, we have a bit of a laugh at them and a bit of a laugh with them, if you see what I mean. We also go shooting, separately and together, and I have taught him exactly that. Never, never, etc. Fortunately he has taken that on board fully as we all did as youths, the idea of accidentally killing someone is sobering, to say the least.

Back