Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Young `uns

Victoria Australia Sambar country.

Young `uns

Beautiful and much better looking than the young Budgies below !

Victoria Australia Sambar country.
    Bugger me that fatty is too strong for the weakling when it comes to tucker time.Can you hand feed it?

Budgies lay on average 5 eggs, one every other day and start `sitting` when the first is laid so consequently there can be 10 days difference from first to last hatching.
    In a harsh natural environment sometimes with a shortage of food the smallest die. It is Mother Natures way to ensure survival of the fittest.
    In aviary conditions this should not happen and hand feeding is not required.
    I rung 92 young Budgies in 2011 and currently have some sitting on eggs . Serious breeding starts in March when conditions improve with most of my stock in flight cages with access to 9 foot aviaries.
    I produced some pretty yellow-faced albinos last year.

Hello Stag.
    If white with red eyes is albino and yellow with red eyes is lutino how can you have a yellow faced albino??
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Simple !
    Budgies are blue series or green series.
    Green is dominant to blue but a green bird can carry the recessive blue genes and therefore produce a percentage of blue offspring.
    A Lutino basically is a green series albino.
    `Yellow-face` is another genetic trait which can be added to the blue series birds and as a challenge I produced the yellow-faced albinos in 2011 .
    I also bred some nice dominant violet pieds with which I intend to combine the yellow-face mutations this season.
    I will take some pictures of the yellow-faced albinos and pop them on here. [ hopefully, as this new computer has a different system with which I am not yet fully compliant. ]

I finally managed to get this picture on and fortunately it shows what is required.
    Left is the yellow-faced albino with a normal albino on the right, I produced both last year and the parents are currently sitting on five eggs.
    The yellow-face mutation comes in two forms, Type 1 and Type 2 .
    Mine has the Type 2 which is richer in colour and also puts a yellow suffusion on the body of the bird.

great pictures there , my old man used to breed canaries when he was young and i have in the past had ...budgies,cockatiel's ,ringneck parakeets , African Grey Parrot

Aye, I have had them all at some-time or other since 1956.
    The green Indian ringnecks were the noisiest birds I ever had. I bred the common grey Cockatiels but today as with most aviary birds mutations have taken over and in some cases crossbreeding of species has taken place, Lovebirds in particular.
    [ Rather like the problems of Sika and Red-deer. ]
    Now that I have no driving licence my birds are a godsend as each day I have something to look forward to, eggs hatching, others laying and youngsters feathering up, plus also the challenge of combining different mutations on one bird.

1st from left, dominant normal green pied, 2nd, albino, 3rd, yellow-faced albino, 4th, dominant opaline blue pied. [ all cock birds. ]