Young `uns

John Gryphon

74d29578.jpg

Budgies lay on average 5 eggs, one every other day and start `sitting` when the first is laid so consequently there can be 10 days difference from first to last hatching.
In a harsh natural environment sometimes with a shortage of food the smallest die. It is Mother Natures way to ensure survival of the fittest.
In aviary conditions this should not happen and hand feeding is not required.
I rung 92 young Budgies in 2011 and currently have some sitting on eggs . Serious breeding starts in March when conditions improve with most of my stock in flight cages with access to 9 foot aviaries.
I produced some pretty yellow-faced albinos last year.

HWH.

Hello Stag.
If white with red eyes is albino and yellow with red eyes is lutino how can you have a yellow faced albino??
basil.

Simple !
Budgies are blue series or green series.
Green is dominant to blue but a green bird can carry the recessive blue genes and therefore produce a percentage of blue offspring.
A Lutino basically is a green series albino.
`Yellow-face` is another genetic trait which can be added to the blue series birds and as a challenge I produced the yellow-faced albinos in 2011 .
I also bred some nice dominant violet pieds with which I intend to combine the yellow-face mutations this season.
I will take some pictures of the yellow-faced albinos and pop them on here. [ hopefully, as this new computer has a different system with which I am not yet fully compliant. ]

HWH.

I finally managed to get this picture on and fortunately it shows what is required.
Left is the yellow-faced albino with a normal albino on the right, I produced both last year and the parents are currently sitting on five eggs.
The yellow-face mutation comes in two forms, Type 1 and Type 2 .
Mine has the Type 2 which is richer in colour and also puts a yellow suffusion on the body of the bird.
HWH.

P1070010.jpg

great pictures there , my old man used to breed canaries when he was young and i have in the past had ...budgies,cockatiel's ,ringneck parakeets , African Grey Parrot

Aye, I have had them all at some-time or other since 1956.
The green Indian ringnecks were the noisiest birds I ever had. I bred the common grey Cockatiels but today as with most aviary birds mutations have taken over and in some cases crossbreeding of species has taken place, Lovebirds in particular.
[ Rather like the problems of Sika and Red-deer. ]
Now that I have no driving licence my birds are a godsend as each day I have something to look forward to, eggs hatching, others laying and youngsters feathering up, plus also the challenge of combining different mutations on one bird.

HWH.

I finally managed to get this picture on and fortunately it shows what is required.
Left is the yellow-faced albino with a normal albino on the right, I produced both last year and the parents are currently sitting on five eggs.
The yellow-face mutation comes in two forms, Type 1 and Type 2 .
Mine has the Type 2 which is richer in colour and also puts a yellow suffusion on the body of the bird.
HWH.

P1070010.jpg

Thanks Stag.
basil.

The parents of that pair had 5 fertile eggs yesterday but today have 4 eggs and one `pinky`.
Normal albino or yellow-faced remains yet to be seen.

HWH.

Back