Recomendations for Books

docholiday

Just wonder if anybody would like to share there recomendations of any shooting books, deer rough or wildfowling :confused:

I recently bought

Trappers Dogs n deer by wayne Blake, Halcyon Press

great tales from New Zealand.

I enjoy reading :eek: when I cant get out, have tendonitis in my foot at the momment :cry: so could do with some ideas

Cheers
Doc

For stalking for me;

Any Richard Prior books - woodland and for hill Lea McNally

John Dryden - talking stalking (for a few good tales)

Dominic Griffiths - 1 book (a different take)

Rouges and running dog buy Brian plumber a true classic.
A passion for stalking by ******* sorry not out yet next year ;)

Nick what book of Domini cs is it your talking a bout if it is managing southern roe deer or something like that dont waist you money its a load of bollocks one for the back of the fire on a cold winters night

Graham Downing, The Deer Stalking Handbook.

I have Vol 1, very good, there is now a Vol 2, with updated info.

TJ

Halcyon Press also publish the Ross Curtis books, they are a series of 4 books telling the storty of the authors exploits as a deer culler in NZ in the 60s and how if something can go wrong it will go wrong. Titles i think are Murphys Law, Murphy on my Back and i can't think of the other 2 right now, but a very good read. This guy was shooting over 1000 reds in a nine month season on foot and skinning them all out, shooting was all with a 303 smle, he once shot 7 deer with one shot!
I read all 4 when i was over there, i think these books are partly responsible for me getting hooked on stalking!

JT

tartinjock said:
Graham Downing, The Deer Stalking Handbook.

I have Vol 1, very good, there is now a Vol 2, with updated info.

TJ

I'd second that recommendation. I received Vol 2 for Christmas and it is very informative and an easy read.

Regards,

Jim

Richard Prior's Modern Roe Stalking may be a little bit out of date, but it's still full of pure gold advice

I'm just reading 'Leaves from Game Book' by Major EH Lynn Allen.
Written in various german POW camps during WWII.

Absolutely excellent collection of short stories describing days abroad, fishing, grouse in Ireland etc etc.

Really good bedside book

Gareth

I had an email today advising me of a new book on Sika Deer and was quite interested until I got to the price.

It was an unbelievable £197 + p&p for 660 pages, that's nearly 30p per page - it would have to be a damn good book for that and I'd rather someone else spend the money first to check it out.

"Trappers Hunters n Co" by Wayne Blake, Halcyon Press is the latest book by this author. A really great follow up to his first boook "Trappers Dogs n Deer" Both books are a really good read.

Graham Downings 'Stalking handbook' is a great read for a true novice as it covers all aspects.
Nicola Fletchers 'Venison cookbook' is an excellent read. Not just a recipe book but an authority on the subject of eating deer. Biased towards farmed Red deer as she is a deer farmer , but a very good book which has won a recent prestigious single subject book award.

Back