Thread: Rusty Bolt!

Rusty Bolt!

I'm looking for some urgent advice.

I've recently purchased a nylon 'Radar' bolt holder for the bolt on my .243, which I store in my cabinet alongside the bolt for my .270, which resides in a leather 'Radar' bolt holder.

I've never had any problems with the leather holder, but twice now when I've come to take the .243 bolt out it has some significant rust on it.

The nylon holder is brand new and the first time it happened it had never been outside and the bolt had been in the cabinet for quite some time, happily living in the leather holder until I transferred it.

I'm looking for some input into what you suggest is causing the rust? While my cabinet is in an internal cupboard, the cupboard itself gets quite cold and I was wondering whether it is possible that some condensation is forming and getting trapped inside the nylon holder? It has a thin neoprene lining for those who aren't familiar with this brand.

Also, is there any way to polish up my bolt, as it is now marked from where I have removed the rust. Is this something I can do myself, or is it a straightforward job for a 'smith? I'm well cheesed off to be honest!

If you have know someone with a buffer / grinder / piller drill that you can mount a Scotchbrite wheel on ( fine ) then you can take rust marks out with ease, failing that do a search on utube for Larry potterfield and clean it up with emery or wet and dry the way he demonstrates, you can use a bit of oil on the emery when you do this (Cut it into 1 inch strips ). Just rememeber to srtip the bolt first then clean, degrease and grease agian with a good gun grease. I would get some silica gel to put in the cabinet and put it in a tin in odder you can dry it in the oven on a low heat every now and again. I would also not store the bolt in the case.Hope that helps

Where do you live, if you near me ..Dorset I could do it on the emery buffer for you, I just stripped my barrel in this way and gave the bolt a polish on both my guns in this way the other month.

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    Hmm! Close fitting rubber and leather! Great for a bit of bondage and domination...but not good for STORAGE of guns, rifles or pistols!

These bolt holders are an abomination of the devil and those who make and peddle such should be at the very least sealed into barrels with wildcats. Then cast into a weir pool.

I'm sorry you've this problem. I've dealt with bolt action rifles for the last thirty-eight years or so and NEVER used such wretched items. That may explain why I've never had a rusty bolt. Including when I had charge of an armoury with over one hundred bolt action rifles plus the odd LMG in the 1970s.

The bolts were removed for storage and kept in a wooden box that had a wooden platform with holes drilled in it. Such that the bolts hung down, stopped from falling through by their handles, vertically.

Use you bolt carrier when out and about, if you must, but don't use it in your cabinet. Just lay the bolt, naked as it were, on a shelf in the cabinet.

The same rust problem is seen on pistols kept in their leather pistol case (holster to you and I) or shot guns kept in those nice baize lined motor cases...the leather ones being the worst for rust.

To get rid of the rust you can wrap the bolt in a rag soaked in paraffin (but it will also remove the blue) and after a week the rust should not be a problem. That method eliminates pretty much anything more "aggressive" that fine wire wool to remove the rust.

But I'd be wary of anything like a wire wheel or wet and dry paper on the areas from where you've removed the rust if they in any way are locking lugs or surfaces that bear against any boltway in the receiver.

Some people report that wiring a small pygmy bulb into the cabinet and leaving it on eliminates damp. But in an armoury that luxury was impractical.

As long as when "put to bed" the weapon has the same temperature as does the inside of the cabinet condensation forming on it should not be a problem.

If the security of your storage allows try leaning the rifle outside the cabinet for an hour or so before locking it inside. Or putting it inside but leaving the door open for an hour or so.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 24-01-2012 at 02:04.

clean it up with a rotary mop buffer and soap, you get small ones for the dremmal that will probably do the job dependant on how localised the rust is.

Always ensure it has a coat of good quality gun oil on it or somthing like 3 in 1 when it is in storage. Not WD40, as great as it is, it is no good for long term storage as it evaporates.