Thread: borrowing rifles.

borrowing rifles.

Hi. What is the legal position on borrowing a centrefire rifle? I have .243, .308 and 9.3 x 62 on my certificate. My father has a .223. Would i be able to borrow his .223 for some foxing on our own farm? Or would it have to be written as lent/borrowed on my certificate? or am i not allowed to do this at all!?

I won't bore you with detail, but borrowing can be lawful, subject to certain restrictions (the estate rifle exemption). The safest and simplest way to achieve your objective is to spend 26 on a variation and have your Dad's .223 added to your FAC as a 'borrow from time to time'. You will then be fireproof.

The estate condition allows you to use the rifle, but only under the direct supervision of the person whose FAC it appears on. If you want to use it on your own you need it on your FAC. One weapon can be held on several FAC's, and it's the only way you can use the rifle without the owner being present.

Get some light varmint loads for your .243 save the hassle?
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Easy solution, apply for a variation for you to acquire a .223 then you can apply to share his .223, means you cn keep his weapon in your cabinet. I have a sharing condition so that I can borrow and use all of my son in law's weapons. Works well.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwaines View Post
    Get some light varmint loads for your .243 save the hassle?
    Totaly agree,if you dont reload mate hornady 58gn vmax flat to 250 + yds deadly on charlie.