My third fox with .243

Shot this vixen at roughly midnight on friday night while out lamping. Shot with a Sako 75 Varmint in .243 w/ Reflex T8 sound mod. (Load used was an 87gr V-Max with 46gr of Viht N160 at roughly 3200fps.) The shot was 270-300 yards and she dropped where she was standing. Sorry for poor image quality as was taken by a camera phone.

Attachments

• fox 5.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 168
  • fox exit wound.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Well done mate ,how does that load group etc i stopped at 42.8 of n160 and got clover leaf at 100yds is the extra pressure worth it?

that is a proper job on him. the 87 vmax is a superb round. expands well and has good bc.

Well done mate ,how does that load group etc i stopped at 42.8 of n160 and got clover leaf at 100yds is the extra pressure worth it?

Thanks, they have 3 shot grouped 0.5 moa at 100 yards but conditions weren't the best with wind and we were just having a bit play and not really trying to hold the best group we could. I didn't load them, my dad does all of the numbers etc. and I just do as I'm told haha. I help weigh the powder and seat the bullets, with him keeping an eye on me. As long as I pull the trigger and hear the woosh and the thwack on the fox I don't question his ways haha. The extra pressure shouldn't do any harm with the heavy varmint barrel though and we dont have any problems with case extraction. It does make sense at the moment to use as less powder, his last 1kg bottle of N160 was 47.95 and we recently saw them going for 75 odd at one of our local dealers. I'll ask him the same question and get back to you. Answer will probably be 'if it aint broke dont fix it' haha

Last edited:
. Answer will probably be 'if it aint broke dont fix it' haha.Lol ,no bother mate .Keep at them charlies and all the best:thumb:

Well done on No3 fox ......a right mess it made , my .243 should be here on Monday.....can't wait to try it out......( but as per usual it's chucking it down here )

Lets hope the 'anti's' aren't reading this post.
I like a dead charlie as much as the next person but i am not sure photos like these are appropriate for public viewing.

Well done on No3 fox ......a right mess it made , my .243 should be here on Monday.....can't wait to try it out......( but as per usual it's chucking it down here )

Raining here too, as usual. You'll enjoy the .243 great caliber and will take down anything wild in the U.K with the right load.

Lets hope the 'anti's' aren't reading this post.
I like a dead charlie as much as the next person but i am not sure photos like these are appropriate for public viewing.

It is just showing my own experience for the knowledge of other like minded people. I am just showing how devastating these types of bullet can be. It was dispatched humanely and never knew a thing, unlike being killed by hounds (not that I'm anti) and anyway anti's should see the title and steer clear, if they do take a look they are obviously here to complain and start an argument.

carefull with pictures mate , they can be used as anti ammo . I caught my first fox when i was 13 , im 44 now , the best year i had was 200 adults and 9 litters of cubs on Melkinthorpe in cumbria . The thing is , it dont matter how many youve had , their gone , its getting the next one that counts . Theres no real secret to it , practice then shoot within your capabilitys , if in doubt dont shoot , better leave him for another time than educate him , good luck

carefull with pictures mate , they can be used as anti ammo . I caught my first fox when i was 13 , im 44 now , the best year i had was 200 adults and 9 litters of cubs on Melkinthorpe in cumbria . The thing is , it dont matter how many youve had , their gone , its getting the next one that counts . Theres no real secret to it , practice then shoot within your capabilitys , if in doubt dont shoot , better leave him for another time than educate him , good luck

Did practice and did shoot within my capabilities, why have I got the negative vibe about people not wanting to shoot fox at distances over 200 yards, surely if your rifle, skills and confidence are up to it then fire away. The way this is going I won't bother posting anymore about my trips out.

I just thought you were new to it , wasnt a lecture just a bit of advise . If your rifles up to it and so are you shoot them as far off as you can

I just thought you were new to it , wasnt a lecture just a bit of advise . If your rifles up to it and so are you shoot them as far off as you can

Well thanks. I'm new to the forum and fairly new to fox shooting but I pick up on things fast and have been shooting water jugs and rabbits at these distances for quite a while.

Back