What goes on the FAC

Fisheruk

Hi guys, I have not started home loading, but am looking at doing so for .233, just for fun. No problem with factory Norma and Privi expanding. Can I have some guidance on what is required to be entered on the FAC. I can hold 500 and purchase 250.
Thanks in anticipation. :-|

You only require a variation for expanding bullets...provided your rifle is open for hunting. The rest is up to you, but remember, bullets count as ammunition whether assembled into cartridge or not.
Primers and propellant don't go on FAC.

You only require a variation for expanding bullets...provided your rifle is open for hunting. The rest is up to you, but remember, bullets count as ammunition whether assembled into cartridge or not.
I am sure i read that bullet heads don't have to be recorded on your certificate, only the rfd has to make a record of it.
But they all seem keen to add them on, there used to be a gunshop in Exeter called Braileys, and the owner Doug Brailey always made a point of not adding the heads on any certificate and said the police firearms dept had got it all wrong, sadly he retired and the next shop i went into added them on, go figure!
Cheers
Richard

From the firearms guidance:

2.9 “Ammunition” means ammunition for
any firearm and includes grenades, bombs
and other like missiles whether capable of
use with a firearm or not, and also includes
prohibited ammunition. It will be noted
that the definition of ammunition does
not include ingredients and components
of ammunition; it is only assembled
ammunition that is controlled under the
Act, not component parts. Empty cartridge
cases, for example, are not “ammunition”.
The only exception to this is the missiles for
ammunition prohibited under section 5 of the
1968 Act, for example expanding or armourpiercing
bullets. Such missiles are themselves
regarded as “ammunition” and are subject to
control accordingly.

Thanks for the info. folks. Seems fairly clear. As I will be mainly using for hunting then it seems that all of the ammo I will use will be expanding it will go on the ticket. Thanks again. :thumb:

The RFD in his wisdom will record for himself and some do some don't, put the purchase of expanding bullets on your FAC. However, the bullets will be/are part of your authorised to purchase/hold allocation.

Thanks for the info. folks. Seems fairly clear. As I will be mainly using for hunting then it seems that all of the ammo I will use will be expanding it will go on the ticket. Thanks again. :thumb:

No Dave the expanding bullets/missiles you purchase do not need to be entered onto your FAC by the selling RFD. He only needs to see your certificate to establish the fact that you have the expanding ammo condition on it that allows you to possess them - you should already have that condition if you are using factory expanding, so no need for a variation.

The relevant reference in the HO Guidance is under Chapter 3.17

"It is not
necessary for the dealer making the sale to
record transactions of expanding bullets on
the certificate but the sale should be recorded
in the dealer’s register."

I've had this out with a couple of RFDs who had been told by the FLD that they had to make an entry on the purchaser's FAC for expanding bullets. After showing them the extract from the HO Guidance they agreed that no entry should be made.

BTW. There is also no requirement for you to enter your handloaded and complete ammunition on your own FAC. Some forces appear to have a bit of a thing about this - my own FEO did until put straight about it - and seem to think it is required to somehow 'prove' that you have been using the firearm come variation time. That is just bollox, 'good reason' to possess is not linked to usage.

Just remember as others have noted - your total holding includes complete assembled rounds, (purchased or handloaded), and expanding bullets. So ask for a decent increase if required. Acquire 500, possess 600 is a good start.

Last edited:
No Dave the expanding bullets/missiles you purchase do not need to be entered onto your FAC by the selling RFD. He only needs to see your certificate to establish the fact that you have the expanding ammo condition on it that allows you to possess them - you should already have that condition if you are using factory expanding, so no need for a variation.The relevant reference in the HO Guidance is under Chapter 3.17"It is notnecessary for the dealer making the sale torecord transactions of expanding bullets onthe certificate but the sale should be recordedin the dealer’s register."I've had this out with a couple of RFDs who had been told by the FLD that they had to make an entry on the purchaser's FAC for expanding bullets. After showing them the extract from the HO Guidance they agreed that no entry should be made.BTW. There is also no requirement for you to enter your handloaded and complete ammunition on your own FAC. Some forces appear to have a bit of a thing about this - my own FEO did until put straight about it - and seem to think it is required to somehow 'prove' that you have been using the firearm come variation time. That is just bollox, 'good reason' to possess is not linked to usage.
This is good to know. Im currently thinking about starting home loading.

I think id want all the bullets id bought entered on my FAC, not least so the police can see that im actually using reasonable amounts of ammo.

I think id want all the bullets id bought entered on my FAC, not least so the police can see that im actually using reasonable amounts of ammo.

I used to have mine put on FAC for this very reason.
Most RFD's I use these days add the expanding bullets on as a matter of course but not target rounds.

Really? Buying bullets and having them entered on your FAC does nothing to prove you are doing anything with them - you could be throwing them in the bin, giving them to a mate or selling them on the blackmarket for all the police know. It does not demonstrate to the police that you are actually using any ammo at all and any FEO who thinks that it does is an idiot.

Why play their games when it's not neccessary? Before Dunblane happened these inert expanding missiles that are now so dangerous that they have to be so strictly controlled could be purchased by anyone and sent through the post to you, and no problems were caused. Overnight, and just because of a change in the legal paperwork they became prohibited items sharing the same classification as guided missiles and fully auto firearms. :scared:

i went to reloading solutions one day with a mate and bought 85gr nos bal tips they only checked my fac and didnt enter anything on it,down in west country all the shops write on fac what expanding ammo you buy,they didnt enter anything on my mates either,we did ask why and they dont have too,not sure why though.....

Back