Another "variation" question.

Tamus

On my current FAC I have, listed in the section "(ii) Firearms authorised to be purchased or acquired" ... One x .30-06 calibre ??? sound moderator (whatever that might be)

I do not wish to purchase this sound moderator now (and perhaps I never will again). However, I do wish to purchase an additional rifle in a lesser calibre now.

Leaving aside the perennial debate as to whether or not a moderator is actually firearm, I assumed that what I was asking for was a "one for one" variation. i.e. I was asking to vary my authorisation to purchase one particular firearm for another, different, one, in this case of lesser calibre to boot. This type of variation would be "free" of charge. My firearms licensing branch think otherwise.

What thinkest thou?

When you apply for a variation you will be charged! If you dispose of a firearm and wish to substitute it for another you apply for a "one on one off variation - this is free of charge.
What did you apply for?
Usually a variation is for an additional firearm.
A sound moderator is not classed as the firearm and there may be requirements/options to purchase a moderator with a rifle, could it be that your FA have simply given you the option to buy with or without the moderator.
Talk to your firearms Officer.

Last edited:
Tom,

I did exactly this about two years ago, I traded two moderator slots for a 243 and a 22, straight swop did it while I waited, no charge. I was being given the two rifles and they were also duplicates of calibres I already owned, it all went quite straight forward.

John

Tamus you should be able to apply for a one for one free of charge by asking for the removal of the vacant slot for the sound moderator and replacing it with a slot for another rifle. As you say sound moderators count as firearms.

Tamus you should be able to apply for a one for one free of charge by asking for the removal of the vacant slot for the sound moderator and replacing it with a slot for another rifle. As you say sound moderators count as firearms.
+1 I have just had to pay £26 for a variation for a moderator, therefore it must count as 1 x firearm

+1

2.3 “Firearm” means a lethal barrelled
weapon of any description from which
any shot, bullet or other missile can be
discharged, and includes any prohibited
weapon, whether it is such a lethal weapon
or not, any component part (see paragraphs
13.69 and 13.70) of such a lethal or
prohibited weapon, and any accessory to
any such weapon designed or adapted to
diminish the noise
or flash caused by
firing the weapon.

“One for one” variations

Applications for “one for one” variations
should be made by the certificate holder
submitting their firearm certificate together
with a completed form 101 to the police
firearms licensing department. Such variations
are processed free of charge.
In most cases,
it will not be necessary to re-examine the
applicant’s circumstances. Further inquiries
will be necessary, however, if for example
the application is for a change of use or
for a full-bore firearm when the holder’s
shooting club only has facilities for
small-bore shooting.

When you apply for a variation you will be charged! If you dispose of a firearm and wish to substitute it for another you apply for a "one on one off variation - this is free of charge.
What did you apply for?
A sound moderator is not classed as the firearm and there may be requirements/options to purchase a moderator with a rifle, could it be that your FA have simply given you the option to buy with or without the moderator.

Be careful what advice you give here, some members could act on the wrong information, and end up in a lot of trouble, although not in this particular instance.

What did you apply for?

Essbee... DL's advice is right.

When you apply for a one-for-one variation you must not be charged.

A moderator is defined as a "firearm" for the purposes of licensing. This is a one-for-one variation within the "usual" "terms". Apologies for being so blunt as to say so but, your opinion of "Usually" has nothing to do with anything.

I will not waste anyone in officialdom's time in idle talk on this matter, it would serve no purpose to do that.

The correctly completed form will be sent in. I will include a covering note explaining why, even though I was told otherwise on't phone, there is no fee included with my application and that note will also ask for a written response/explaination in the event that it is felt I have erred in my view.

Incidentally, I won't go into the whys and wherefores of my circumstances but... we also have cause to put this matter before another Police Force's licensing branch simultaneously to the above application and they agree unreservedly with my take on this matter.

Incidentally, I won't go into the whys and wherefores of my circumstances but... we also have cause to put this matter before another Police Force's licensing branch simultaneously to the above application and they agree unreservedly with my take on this matter.

Great - pit them against one another!

Could be some interesting police-on-police action if they refuse to come around. :D

No idea what they were up to, to begin with, but Strathclyde now performing nearly as well as ever. "1 for 1?" "yes, that's correct sir, no problem"

Only downside is; they really don't want me turning up at their counter looking for instant service, like the good old days. "over 400 applications lying to be processed" "staff shortages/cuts" and "new 'puter system" ... "expected turn-around 28 days" ... maybe a little quicker if I'm lucky....but ... Yikes! not used to this sort of delay. They say patience is a virtue though.:confused:

Last edited:
No idea what they were up to, to begin with, but Strathclyde now performing nearly as well as ever. "1 for 1?" "yes, that's correct sir, no problem"

Only downside is; they really don't want me turning up at their counter looking for instant service, like the good old days. "over 400 applications lying to be processed" "staff shortages/cuts" and "new 'puter system" ... "expected turn-around 28 days" ... maybe a little quicker if I'm lucky....but ... Yikes! not used to this sort of delay. They say patience is a virtue though.:confused:
28 day turn around - lightning fast compared to Hampshire Police:evil:

Thank you Strathclyde Police Licensing Department.

My variation processed, exactly as submitted and returned with no errors on the shiny new ticket (now duly signed) all within 16 days of sending it off. All the more impressive given their own prediction of 28 days from receipt.

Off down to my RFD to pick up Mauser66's cracking good Brno rifle now. If I can prize it away from its admirers :D

Thanks too to Mauser66 for being such a gent to deal with.

Another very satisfying experience courtesy of the S.D. :thumb:

Last time I put mine in it took 5 weeks!! That was Norfolk constab took the **** if you ask me. Consequently I didn't get the rifle I was after as it had sold.

I applied to Hampshire Police for a variation for a cf moderator on December 7th, my FAC was returned on February 6th. atb, Tim

Can I just ask for a conformation here

You swapped a slot for a moderator for one for another CF in a different calibre ? were you questioned as to why you needed it, or did they just swap the slots over,?

Once you have done this, you should be able to add a slot for a moderator for all you`re rifles anyway, as they can`t refuse them.

ATb

You swapped a slot for a moderator for one for another CF in a different calibre ? were you questioned as to why you needed it, or did they just swap the slots over,?

Once you have done this, you should be able to add a slot for a moderator for all you`re rifles anyway, as they can`t refuse them.

ATb
This was a completely new application for a mod. not a replacement, the "good reason" that I gave was "Health & Safety" and they were happy with this, it just took them an age to process the paperwork! atb Tim

ATb

Rake Aboot, I don't really know who your questions were aimed at. If it was me then the answers are;

1) Yes, I did a one for one .30-06 moderator slot (unfilled) swapped for a .22 Hornet rifle permission to acquire, and I did it free of charge as 1 for 1's should be.

2) I filled in Firearms form 101, requesting a variation (as above) and giving my good reasons, as is always required with an application whether it be a variation or otherwise and I don't really know what you meant by "were you questioned as to why you needed it?" What question do you imagine could follow from my providing "good reason", unless perhaps I had given cause for suspicion as to the accuracy or veracity of the details I provided? Which is a situation I would not allow to arise.

3) Did I "just swap slots over"? No, I'd have no power to do that. What I did do was send in my 101 form and let the licensing staff process it.

4) Whenever I ask for anything, in terms of Firearms Licensing, I provide good reason, as required of me, with that and no barring criteria existing on me personally "they" would have no cause to refuse anything and it has never been my experience that licensing have had any difficulty processing my applications.

I hope that answers your questions fully.~ Tom.

Last edited:
Back