Thread: Peacock removal (Advice Please)

Peacock removal (Advice Please)

I know this is not the normal run of the mill question for this site, but!

I have been asked by a local parish council to remove a number of peacocks/peahens from a local village. These birds would be relocated at locations through out the region. Sites have already been selected if green light is given.

1. Am I legally allowed to capture these birds if on private land as these birds are feral.

2. Do i need any special licences to capture and release these birds, if so where do I get them from.

3. Who would be the best people to speak too to make sure that I am 100% legal

4. Any other legal issues that I should be made aware of?

My first thoughts on Poc would be DEFRA Natural England and the RSPB

Any information would be gratefully received.

Remington 700

dont kill them , their worth alot of money

If you need to rehome some of the pea hens I will take a few. I have five males at the moment with another three in the area somewhere.
    Trouble, I get offered peacocks free every year if you can sell them let me know.

If they are going to be free iwill take them they taste good with red wine.

yeh i'll help and have a couple!

dont see why you would need a license to live trap a non native species.
    you may need a license to transport and release though.

bit rusty on the regs but natural england would know.
    and [shiver]...the RSPB

Dougster bring them too mine niext time your here they will be happy as Larry either at mine or at Terrys farm for use as guards.ATBPete

Peacock can be cooked very like turkey, except that it tends to be dry-fleshed and requires frequent basting with butter. Slinge, draw, and stuff a peacock with forcemeat. Truss it for roasting and roast it in a moderate oven (350° F.) for about 20 minutes per pound, or until well browned and tender, basting very frequently with melted butter. Serve hot with pan gravy; or cold with chopped jelly and cold sauce poivrade.
    To make the forcemeat, soak 1 pound of bread crumbs in milk and press out the moisture. Combine it with 1 pound of chopped beef marrow, the peacock liver, finely chopped, 10 shallots or 1 onion, chopped and stewed in butter until tender, 1 tablespoon each chopped green celery leaf and parsley, and a little sage, marjoram, and thyme. Season with cayenne, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to taste.

To 6 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan, add 1 carrot and 1 onion, both diced, and cook until they are golden-brown. Add 1/2 cup flour, mix together, and cook until the flour turns golden-brown. Add 3 cups brown stock or double-strength beef consommé and 1 cup tomato purée, mix well with a whip, and cook, stirring until well blended. Add 3 or 4 sprigs of parsley, 1 bay leaf, and a little thyme. If any bones of the game are available, brown them well in the oven and add them. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally and skimming as needed.
    Put 1/2 cup vinegar and 6 peppercorns, crushed, in a pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to about one third the original quantity. Strain the sauce into the reduced vinegar mixture and cook all together for about 30 minutes, skimming carefully as the fat rises. Add 1/2 cup red wine to finish the sauce.