Meindl Kirunna - winter wellies

IanF

Folks.

After ten years, my Chameau Neoprenes started to let water in next to the zips, time for a replacement for my winter boots.

Got hold of a set of Meindl Kiruna and absolutely delighted with them. Pricey, but available off the Bay at an amount that made Chameaus the more expensive option. £130 inc postage. Care: I usually take a size 11 - needed a 12 for these to fit. Once on - really, really comfortable.

ME7730large.jpg

Unlike most wellies, these have a strap that holds your foot down on the sole, whilst the heel cup provides plenty of lateral stability.The sole is a replaceable vibram ' Commando' cleated jobby - digs in well and gave secure grip, while wellie wearers were struggling on the face of a steep slope. Its nice and quiet on hard surfaces as well.

These are definately cold weather wear, rated for -30! However, unlike my wellies, even when moving, my feet stay toasty without getting wet. The lining looks like fur a centimetre thick, its actually lambs wool. Suffice to say, it feels like you are wearing a Black bear cub on each foot - truly lovely!

They look the part once on - and certainly seem to do as it says on the tin!

If you are in the market for a set of warm wellies - give Tamarack a call. If you are lucky enough to be a size 10, then you should be able to grab a bargin from their disposal stock.

Thoroughly recommended!

Rgds Ian
;)

Boots

Hi Ian

I was looking at those in the bushwear catalogue and thought they were the business.
Since my Aigle's perished where they bend at the toe after only 13 months use I was thinking about something other than rubber for boots.

On your recommendation I might give them a go - do you have the company contact details please?

:D

Cheers

Daemon

Re: Boots

Daemo said:
Since my Aigle's perished where they bend at the toe after only 13 months use I was thinking about something other than rubber for boots.

Cheers

Daemon
I was considering splashing out on a pair of Aigle wellies (or rather Mrs downwind was) :confused: :confused: perhaps we'll think again. Anybody else had this happen? Cheers, Pete.

I would stay clear from Aigle

Having used Le Chameau for years I must admit I got a pair of Muck Boots for x-mas and they are a far better boot at half the price :D

Aigle

Hiya Downwind

The guys at my local shoot have had the boots perishing too - the head keeper even mentioned it to the Aigle rep when he bumped into him at a show.

In their favour they are very comfortable, but for £70 I wanted them to last more than 13 months.

Ironically the guys at the shoot with cheap wellington boots, that are never washed and are generally abused (the boots not the guys), have no problems at all - doesn't seem right to me!

Daemon

:D

Hi Ian

I'm fairly sure it was the Stormsure adhesive.
The secret is all in the preparation I'm told. Clean the surface with white spirit or something similar and dry thoroughly before you apply the Stormsure.

I did mine three weeks ago, I have had six shoot days and have worn the wellies everyday since and it's still holding up, and to be honest there's enough Stormsure in the one container to last you a life time, so it's not a big deal if you have to re-do them every few months.

Back