Door Mounted Rifle Rests

Pete E

Gents,

I've been be considering a door mounted rifle rest for lamping rabbits and foxes...I have made one out of PVC piping and while it works, I'd like something a bit more solid...

We don't seem to have many on the market in the UK, so far I only found the two below:

http://www.shootright.co.uk/html/rifle_rest.html

I have seen other similar designs which are sold abroad, but they all have two braces from the centre of the uprights back to the door as in the picture below:

IMG_3099ssm.jpg

My concern is that the rest from Shootright will not be solid enough and especially in this freezing weather, the suction cups may not hold properly..Has anybody used one ? Any comments about it good or bad?

The second below works on a different design principle...

http://shootingsystems.co.uk/index.html

This one is pretty much only fits the vehicle its made for and that puts me off as really i want to switch it between vehicles...However, I suspect its a more solid design as it has a brace...

Any thoughts or comments? Anybody know of any other designs sold in the UK??

Regards,

Peter

Pete,

I use a piece of 2X2 with a groove cut into the underside to fit over the window glass, and a piece of carpet stuck on the top for resting the gun on. I normally only use it with my 22lr and it works perfect.

John

This is what I use, it's called a Solo Rest. I'm not sure if they are still being made. The manufacturer was/is I believe T Robbins from Holme Park game farm, phone number 0118 989 0242
It's a rock solid platform that has served me well for eight or nine years now. The pipe lagging was added by myself as the foam supplied was not thick enough.
picture1.jpg

Failing that, have a look at this one

http://shootingsystems.co.uk/index.html

Thanks gents, particulary Elwood..

I've tried various forms of padding on the window and as a right hander, it works ok for me when in the passanger seat, but not when I'm a driver as the door is "too close" so to speak...

Elwood,

Can you elaberate how that rest fixes to the vehicle?? Or better yet, do you have any pics of it off the vehicle???

Thanks again,

Peter

Pete, it slides on and off, there are no fixings as such. There are two clamps that slide over the door inside and out these can be adjusted to fit as tight or as loose (not a good idea) as you want. The longer arm that comes half way down the door takes up all the weight that you put on the rest, it has I believe a pad underneath that gives excellent grip.
These will pretty much fit any vehicle.

This is how stable they are, I drive down the road with mine attached and it has never come off, but beware driving through narrow gate ways!

But as I have said I'm not sure if he still makes them, I did try and google it but it came up with nothing, which isn't normally a good sign.

Elwood,

I spoke to the guy earlier and although he no longer makes them, he still has a few left for sale...

He's not got a presence on the Net by the sounds of it and I'm awaiting some info to arrive by snail mail..

He also mention something about it holding a lamp which came as part of the kit?

Regards,

Peter

Pete, looks like you are in luck then, did he give you a price ?
Yes it does come with a lamp holder, mine came with a lamp as well, but the lamp was a old Cluson OK for rabbits but not foxes. I took the lamp holder off as it wasn't necessary for my needs.

These really are built well and wouldn't be without mine.

Elwood,

I didn't get a price as I wanted one with out the lamp...I'll post here when the paperwork comes..

Regards,

Peter

I have seen a rest which sticks to the outside of the door using suction cups and a couple of insulated pies as a shooting platform. I did think of getting a glazers clamp and making my own but I never got round to it! :oops:

deer man said:
I have seen a rest which sticks to the outside of the door using suction cups and a couple of insulated pies as a shooting platform. I did think of getting a glazers clamp and making my own but I never got round to it! :oops:

Probably this one? http://www.shootright.co.uk/html/rifle_rest.html

Unless I am mistaken, it is made using a standard glazers clamp, although the tricky part would be attaching it to the frame in a way that still allows the levers to operate. Also, I'm not 100% convinced those clamps would work too well in frosty weather...

Another vote for the Shooting bags set up, nice and easy to use, just need to think about a rest for the back elbow. Their bigger bench bag is also good off the bonnet for longer stuff.

A

I make my own door rests now, similar to the Shoot Right ones - using the glazier's suction cups if I don't want to drill holes in the truck's doors. I had some made for me a while ago and I just keep adapting the design to fit the current vehicle and shooting type - now I'm using heavier rifles more often, the design is a bit beefier that the standard rabbit shooting one.

The suction cups work fine in all weathers - you just need to ensure the mounting surface is clean and wet to get a really secure mount (I keep a water spray in my truck). The mounts are dead simple to make with a MIG welder and some light guage mild steel 20mm box tubing. The suction cups are about a tenner a piece of Ebay (shame they only seem to come in flourescent orange :rolleyes: ) so the whole rest costs about £15 a time including paint and pipe lagging...and take about 30 minutes to build.

Adam.

old post going back to 2009 but heres mine, atb wayne
20120311_zps24c6fcf6.jpg

strap goes through the door to fix it upright and now have sourced proper black foam ,atb wayne

I made this to give me more angle than just the mirror. The metal hoops just sit over both sides of the door which is protected by a bit of old carpet. Very steady and no suction cups to worry about. The only downside is that I can't put up the window up while it is in place.
Window rest.JPGrest 2.JPG

Back