bore cleaning question

bobjs

Just been speaking to a mate (the one with the crown of gunk)

he said he only cleans his rifle bore from time to time. no matter what the shot count is what the weather was like etc etc.

i clean mine after the outing if i have taken 1 or 30 shots.

what do you guys do.

bob.

Mine gets dried off after every trip and once a week gets a proper clean and oil, regardless of number of shots fired
Al

A couple of dry patches after every trip shot fired or not, a proper clean every 50 shots or so, a full strip (stock off) and clean up if it gets wet.

Neil. :)

6.5mmx55mm rarely clean mine mate. still manage to split a 10p piece with factory ammo at 100yds. but to be fair most i'm firing in a outing is 1-5 shots stalking 1-3(if i'm lucky when stalking) any more its a clean and re-zero of the rifle. but I have to say my rifle's fairly bombproof; even when I have a senior moment and drop it.....

cheers lads :)

like myself it gets a clean every time.

i shot the rifle with the cruddy crown last night, and we got a 10p size 3 shot group at 100, but the trigger is set at about 1.5 lb's as he does not like light triggers in the back of a truck,

bob.

but the trigger is set at about 1.5 lb's as he does not like light triggers in the back of a truck,

bob.
Shouldn't be a worry, as the rifle, if with a charged magazine, should have the bolt closed on an EMPTY chamber.

Shouldn't be a worry, as the rifle, if with a charged magazine, should have the bolt closed on an EMPTY chamber.

mmm

im talking about when shooting from the back of the truck on the land, he still likes a trigger with a bit more pull req when taking the shot, we all should travel with an empty breach/chamber, but how many will admit that they don't.

bob.

Why would pull weight have any bearing on shooting from a static truck?,.....a static rest is the same wether it's a truck or any other rest isn't it?

cheers lads :)

like myself it gets a clean every time.

i shot the rifle with the cruddy crown last night, and we got a 10p size 3 shot group at 100, but the trigger is set at about 1.5 lb's as he does not like light triggers in the back of a truck,

:rofl: a trigger pull of 1 1/2lbs is light and possibly even unsafe with a lot of normal factory production triggers. It would appear that "modern" shooters are really wimps as they cannot cope with a trigger pressure that is quite normal and have to shoot off a solid frame/rest all the time. One really has to wonder where it's all going.

The normal Timney type trigger was made to have a adjustment/setting range of 3-5lbs as I recall. It's a wonder that there are not more accidents really with triggers set too ligth for field use and cold hands/gloves.

:rofl: a trigger pull of 1 1/2lbs is light and possibly even unsafe with a lot of normal factory production triggers. It would appear that "modern" shooters are really wimps as they cannot cope with a trigger pressure that is quite normal and have to shoot off a solid frame/rest all the time. One really has to wonder where it's all going.

The normal Timney type trigger was made to have a adjustment/setting range of 3-5lbs as I recall. It's a wonder that there are not more accidents really with triggers set too light for field use and cold hands/gloves.

I am not sure why you think those of us who have a light trigger pull are wimps, i have a featherweight fitted to my 20 tac and its less than a 1lb pull ,but on the other hand i have a Ruger 308 that has a factory trigger pull thats more than 3lb, so im a wimp when im using my 20 tac but im a real hunter when it comes to my 308,

get real will you,

In my case its simple.

A 308 is one hell of a big cal to have light trigger on in the field, but people on here have changed the trigger on their rifles for a lighter pull. but i will probably keep mine as it is ( after all i don't what to appear to be a wimp now do I.) and it will be used for stalking IE: BIG targets with the odd trip to the range for a bit of plinking.

My 20 tac is a long range varminting tool, so it makes sense to have a lighter pull on it after all I'M not shooting deer with it, im shooting rabbits and corvids out to and past 400 yards and i am sure your aware of the smaller the target the greater the error.

I will agree to disagree with you on the 1.5lb trigger pull. to my friend and many other people 1.5lb may seem just right for them in the field but to others it could be way to light, im glad its a free country we live in or we may all have to have triggers set up by the factory before we buy it. happily its not the USA and we have the choice.

bob.

Bob you seem to take this personally :confused: I was merely pointing out that 1 1/2lbs pull weigh on a trigger is light and beyond the design range of a lot of triggers in use. To me it also seems that basic training in the use of rifles seems to be amiss and really light triggers should be the realm of experienced shots in carefully controlled situations like at the bench on the range.

If one must have a really light trigger pull I the field the surely a sett trigger is probably the answer something like the Keplinger?

Now I have to replace the P-H Timney type on a Midland 2100 due to some previous owner messing with it and making it far to light. In fact I had trouble getting the pull weight back up to 2lbs............................. god only knows how low it was when I acquired the rifle but it's way beyond the design spec so one day when I can a replacement will be sourced and fitted then set up to a decent field use pressure and take up/backlash etc. Although I did not manage to make it fire by knocking the butt etc I will be much happier when it's replaced.

I'm not mate

All I'll say is i do what i do my way and you do what you do your way,

and as long as no one thinks im pushing my ways onto them in any way then ill be happy.i have done what i want with my stocks and my rifles and if thats not what you would do then don't do it.

bob.

I'm not mate

All I'll say is i do what i do my way and you do what you do your way,

and as long as no one thinks im pushing my ways onto them in any way then ill be happy.i have done what i want with my stocks and my rifles and if thats not what you would do then don't do it.

bob.

Jesus what is with some people, i read this whole thread - bob just asked a simple question - do you clean your rifle after every outing or not!
somehow, because people seem to enjoy having a go at people, we have got onto a rant about trigger pulls here!

Get a grip, do whatever works for you, at the end of the day if someone else likes a few lb extra pull then good for them. If you like a light trigger then nice one, because you're the one who will be pulling it.

I haven't been a member long on here, but it really winds me up to see other members having a pop at the person who started the thread - go and start your own and ill have a pop at you

Bob - I clean my rifle every 50 shots or so, not after every outing. That works for me, i don't have the time to sit and woo 20 patches up the barrel after shooting one round off.

Jesus what is with some people, i read this whole thread - bob just asked a simple question - do you clean your rifle after every outing or not!
somehow, because people seem to enjoy having a go at people, we have got onto a rant about trigger pulls here!
If as you say,"You read the WHOLE THREAD" You should have read Bob's own comment on pull weights? Some people try to read the whole bit, & if there is something within extra shall we say, then this can produce return comment! As to ranting, don't really get into rants,I prefer to try to make considered replies.;)

Back