Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domestic livestock

Domestic livestock

Do domestic livestock (Horses) have to be specified on your firearms certificate before you can humanely dispatch them, I'm sure the answer is probably yes, but hey?

All I seem to be able to find was this...........

Firearms Act 1968 CHAPTER 27

10 Slaughter of animals.E+W+S(1)A person licensed under [F35the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 to slaughter horses, cattle, sheep, swine or goats] may, without holding a certificate, have in his possession a slaughtering instrument and ammunition therefor in any slaughterhouse or knacker’s yard in which he is employed.
    (2)The proprietor of a slaughterhouse or knacker’s yard or a person appointed by him to take charge of slaughtering instruments and ammunition therefor for the purpose of storing them in safe custody at that slaughterhouse or knacker’s yard may, without holding a certificate, have in his possession a slaughtering instrument or ammunition therefor for that purpose.
    Last edited by Morgy; 21-01-2012 at 18:40.

Yes, your fac would need to be conditioned for the humane killing of animals.

Mine simply states as an additional condition "the firearms, sound moderators and ammunition shall also be used in connection with the humane killing of animals"

I had this added many years ago so that I was covered when shooting livestock here on the farm.

Thanks for that,

edited because of my stupid question.

Last edited by Morgy; 21-01-2012 at 18:47.

You can use a shotgun, which is my prefered tool, without any restrictions whatsoever.

I have slug on ticket, of course that section 1 ammo, so that would require an amendment, what size shot would you recommend for a horse?

P.S. My ticket doesnt specify "Humane Destruction", it states "Shall be used for the destruction of injured deer/Goats and Wild boar in the course of stalking", so it would seem it would certainly need to be amended.
    Last edited by Morgy; 21-01-2012 at 19:13.

I've done them with a .410 with whatever shot size was to hand. At a couple of feet it does not really matter. Same goes for a 12 bore.

You don't need a slug to dispatch a horse. A rifle would be downright dangerous for shooting a horse as they are relatively tall and you would be discharging your weapon in an unsafe direction. I would not shoot a horse with a rifle unless it was a last resort.

Shotgun very effective. Shoot from about 6 inches away. You can use anything, even a .410. With a horse covering the eyes with a towel is well tolerated and should reduce them shying away. I tend to use 30g number 6 for large animals with the shotgun, but would not hesitate to use any cartridge I could find.

Do note that if you have never destroyed a horse before the point you shoot them is high up in the head, and they have a small brain. Shotgun increases your chances of a clean kill.

Picture c/o HSA booklet, which I urge you to get a copy of even if you may only do this very infrequently.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

A vet told me the exact same thing Apache. A cross drawn between the corner of the ear and the outside corner of the opposite eye, with the barrel lined up with the neck, any cartridge will do the job quickly and effectively. It can look a bit drastic, but it certainly kills very efficiently.

Why on earth would you want self despatch a horse unless it was your own and you intended to bury it on your own ground??

he may have a livery yard and a gallop , horse breaks a leg , quicker to do it yourself than wait for a vet .