Domestic livestock

Morgy

Do domestic livestock (Horses) have to be specified on your firearms certificate before you can humanely dispatch them, I'm sure the answer is probably yes, but hey?

All I seem to be able to find was this...........

Firearms Act 1968 CHAPTER 27

10 Slaughter of animals.E+W+S(1)A person licensed under [F35the Welfare of Animals (Slaughter or Killing) Regulations 1995 to slaughter horses, cattle, sheep, swine or goats] may, without holding a certificate, have in his possession a slaughtering instrument and ammunition therefor in any slaughterhouse or knacker’s yard in which he is employed.
(2)The proprietor of a slaughterhouse or knacker’s yard or a person appointed by him to take charge of slaughtering instruments and ammunition therefor for the purpose of storing them in safe custody at that slaughterhouse or knacker’s yard may, without holding a certificate, have in his possession a slaughtering instrument or ammunition therefor for that purpose.

Last edited:
Yes, your fac would need to be conditioned for the humane killing of animals.

Mine simply states as an additional condition "the firearms, sound moderators and ammunition shall also be used in connection with the humane killing of animals"

I had this added many years ago so that I was covered when shooting livestock here on the farm.

Charlie

Thanks for that,

edited because of my stupid question.

Guy

Last edited:
Charlie,

I have slug on ticket, of course that section 1 ammo, so that would require an amendment, what size shot would you recommend for a horse?

Cheers

Guy

P.S. My ticket doesnt specify "Humane Destruction", it states "Shall be used for the destruction of injured deer/Goats and Wild boar in the course of stalking", so it would seem it would certainly need to be amended.

Last edited:
I've done them with a .410 with whatever shot size was to hand. At a couple of feet it does not really matter. Same goes for a 12 bore.

You don't need a slug to dispatch a horse. A rifle would be downright dangerous for shooting a horse as they are relatively tall and you would be discharging your weapon in an unsafe direction. I would not shoot a horse with a rifle unless it was a last resort.

Shotgun very effective. Shoot from about 6 inches away. You can use anything, even a .410. With a horse covering the eyes with a towel is well tolerated and should reduce them shying away. I tend to use 30g number 6 for large animals with the shotgun, but would not hesitate to use any cartridge I could find.

Do note that if you have never destroyed a horse before the point you shoot them is high up in the head, and they have a small brain. Shotgun increases your chances of a clean kill.

utf-8BSU1HMDAwOTYtMjAxMTAyMTktMTgzMi5qcGc.jpg

Picture c/o HSA booklet, which I urge you to get a copy of even if you may only do this very infrequently.

A vet told me the exact same thing Apache. A cross drawn between the corner of the ear and the outside corner of the opposite eye, with the barrel lined up with the neck, any cartridge will do the job quickly and effectively. It can look a bit drastic, but it certainly kills very efficiently.

Why on earth would you want self despatch a horse unless it was your own and you intended to bury it on your own ground??

he may have a livery yard and a gallop , horse breaks a leg , quicker to do it yourself than wait for a vet .

Thank you very much Gents and/or Ladies for taking the time to educate me, shot a lot of stuff in my time but never a horse? No problem using a rifle/pistol I suppose, if you observe the same back stop principals or high seat? Then get the condition put on my ticket. Never thought of using a shotgun, lot less risk of ricochet, as has been said I think a bit of research before doing it.

Whilst I was out working this evening, my daughter found this website..............

Gunshot
The proper location of gunshot penetration is important in the destruction of the brain and minimizing suffering. The optimal site for penetration of the skull is one-half inch above the intersection of a diagonal line from the base of the ear to the in side corner of the opposite eye. The firearm should be aimed directly down the neck, perpendicular to the front of the skull, and held at least 2-6 inches away from the point of impact. When performed skillfully, gunshot induces instantaneous unconscio usness, is inexpensive, and does not require close contact with the horse.
A .22-caliber long rifle is recommended, but a 9mm or .38-caliber handgun will be sufficient for most horses. The use of hollow-point or soft nose bullets will increase brain destruction and reduce the chance of ricochet. If a shotgun is the only available firearm, the use of a rifled slug is preferred.
This method should only be attempted by individuals trained in the use of firearms and who understand the potential for ricochet. Care must be taken to minimize the danger to the operator, observers, and other animals. Personnel must comply with all la ws and regulations governing the posession and discharge of firearms; local ordinances may prohibit the discharge of firearms in certain areas.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/inf-an/inf-an_emergeuth-horses.html

Thanks again.

Guy

Only if it is your own horse and not a horse that is in for stabling
Most vets work on a 24 hour call out system and if they don't change your vet
As I can't see any reason why you want to leave yourself open to shoot a horse when the owner has the money to pay for the vet's bills to keep the horse alive
The horse won't appreciate it ending it's life early either

Morgy
If you go down this route
Couple of pointers
Liaison with the cremation centre if one is to be used
Put the horse to rest in a place where it can be recovered easily
Make sure the owners are not present if possible as the sight of the horse being shot may not be too pleasant a sight

If a shotgun is the only available firearm, the use of a rifled slug is preferred.

The rest is good but that is pure madness. I've shot a fair few cows with a 12G and .410 and it's a perfect method. Very safe too. I'll use a shotgun in many situation where I wouldn't use a free bullet. I genuinely think you'd have quite a dangerous job getting the desired angle with a long barrelled rifle. Never mind the poor bugger trying to hold the horses head.

Fair points re location and getting rid of the body. You can bury horses and quite nice is there is a hole ready and then drop horse near hole and drag in with digger and fill in. Works nicely. It's dear having a horse cremated as it uses a lot of gas! No reason anyone can't carry it out if they are confident with the procedure, know where to aim and have a suitable firearm.

Thank you very much Gents and/or Ladies for taking the time to educate me, shot a lot of stuff in my time but never a horse? No problem using a rifle/pistol I suppose, if you observe the same back stop principals or high seat? Then get the condition put on my ticket. Never thought of using a shotgun, lot less risk of ricochet, as has been said I think a bit of research before doing it.

Whilst I was out working this evening, my daughter found this website..............

Gunshot
The proper location of gunshot penetration is important in the destruction of the brain and minimizing suffering. The optimal site for penetration of the skull is one-half inch above the intersection of a diagonal line from the base of the ear to the in side corner of the opposite eye. The firearm should be aimed directly down the neck, perpendicular to the front of the skull, and held at least 2-6 inches away from the point of impact. When performed skillfully, gunshot induces instantaneous unconscio usness, is inexpensive, and does not require close contact with the horse.
A .22-caliber long rifle is recommended, but a 9mm or .38-caliber handgun will be sufficient for most horses. The use of hollow-point or soft nose bullets will increase brain destruction and reduce the chance of ricochet. If a shotgun is the only available firearm, the use of a rifled slug is preferred.
This method should only be attempted by individuals trained in the use of firearms and who understand the potential for ricochet. Care must be taken to minimize the danger to the operator, observers, and other animals. Personnel must comply with all la ws and regulations governing the posession and discharge of firearms; local ordinances may prohibit the discharge of firearms in certain areas.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext/inf-an/inf-an_emergeuth-horses.html

Thanks again.

Guy

I have Humane Dispatch of Animals on my FAC, to use .22lr plus moderator, you don't need anything else, but a .410 shotgun 6 inches will do the same and you do not need it mentioned on your SC. I agree with the point of aim set out above.

I can see the emotional attachment of a much loved pet, but, that pails into insignificance when an animal is suffering and there is no other option. I'm sure many of us have been there.

I can see what is being said about using a rifle, but a shotgun barrel is no shorter, I must admit, I hadnt thought about someone holding the horses head whilst you did it, I was thinking more pull the bridle toward you over a gate/fence and then fire in the appropriate place.

The thing about where the animal is destroyed would be dictated by whether the animal is able to move or not, if the animal was in a field it would be far safer than in a stable.

The carcass will go straight to kennels.

Last edited:
I can see what is being said about using a rifle, but a shotgun barrel is no shorter,

Yes but think about the logistics. A 6 foot tall bloke is going to be pointing a barrel in a horizontal or slightly upwards direction for a reasonably sized horse. They are prone to erratic movements, I would be much less worried if the horse moved and sent a cartridge load of 30g number 6 into the air than a bullet. That is the issue, especially when shooting upwards. This is really where a short barrel weapon comes into its own. I will frequently hold the .32 free bullet over my head so that I have the correct downwards angle down into the line of the spine. A shotgun imparts much more energy and is therefore more 'forgiving' than a .22rf.

I would never plan to shoot a standing horse with a rifle, but would be prepared to do so in an emergency. You do have to be very accurate and I admit to having to give a few cows a second shot and they have been down and much more stationary than a horse is. Never had to use a second shot with a shotgun.

Morgy
If you go down this route
Couple of pointers
Liaison with the cremation centre if one is to be used
Put the horse to rest in a place where it can be recovered easily
Make sure the owners are not present if possible as the sight of the horse being shot may not be too pleasant a sight

And if you have to shoot it in a stable get it out before rigor mortis sets in.

Back