moderator change

jewfish

guys quick one!! ive got a mod on my ticket, and i want to buy another and sell my one on my ticket! can i buy another one before i sell the other? the new one will be the same 30 cal / one for one. cheers

My understanding is that you do not need an FAC to purchase a moderator, but you do require it on your FAC before you can put it on a weapon and use it. Don't know where that gets you with your problem. Maybe a call to your FEO would sort it out.

How is it listed on your cert? If it's unknown make and no serial number many RFDs take a pragmatic view that 1 unspecified moderator could be another.

If there is a make or SN then you need a 1 for 1.

I have just doen a couple of 1for1's, I also said I had a moderator that was on the way out.
I have ended up with all the slots I wanted, plus a new condition......
I may purchase a moderator and get rid of the old one within 30 days, once done I have to return my FAC for amendment.
As it happens this will expire before I do the swap, being skint I will carry on until the old mod falls apart :lol:

Neil. :)

thanks for your imput i just checked my ticket and it says a moderator! no numbers or makers names, surely i could sell it and buy another and just let them know my new maker and numbers?

guys just checked my ticket just says moderator !! nothing else no makers names or numbers! come to think of it a while ago i sold my 308 and brought another and told them in writing i have not had a visit from oll plod saying i cannot!! surely i could sell and buy another
cheers chris.

it depends on how its written in "Firearms possessed, or authorised to be purchased or acquired" and what you have written in "table 1 Firearms"

guys just checked my ticket just says moderator !! nothing else no makers names or numbers! come to think of it a while ago i sold my 308 and brought another and told them in writing i have not had a visit from oll plod saying i cannot!! surely i could sell and buy another
cheers chris.

I sincerely hope I have read this wrong! If not then you have committed a firearms offence and the RFD who allowed this also.

HME

Why would that be an offence. You can sell one firearm, which leaves an open slot, this can be filled with another of the same calibre, and the relevant licensing dept can be informed, Your FAC does not even need ammended till it`s in for renewal.

As for the moderators. You can buy a new one, off ticket, keep it till you sell your old one, and then fit the new on onto your rifle. Simples.

Why would that be an offence. You can sell one firearm, which leaves an open slot, this can be filled with another of the same calibre, and the relevant licensing dept can be informed, Your FAC does not even need ammended till it`s in for renewal.

As for the moderators. You can buy a new one, off ticket, keep it till you sell your old one, and then fit the new on onto your rifle. Simples.

Ypu need to read the first page of your FAC.

If you really have done as you said, your FAC is in peril at the very least.

Given that I asked Lothian and Borders licensing Dept the same question two weeks ago, I don`t think I do bud.

I wanted a new 22. I was advised that I could sell the old one to an RFD, then buy a new one without having to get a 1 for 1 variation. The variation was only required if I wanted to keep the old 22 while I bought the new one and added it to my FAC

As for moderators, I bought my latest full bore mod from e-bay, from a non license holder. My rfd put it on my ticket for me.
Again all done under the guidance of L&B and I suspect they now what they are talking about.

I wanted a new 22. I was advised that I could sell the old one to an RFD, then buy a new one without having to get a 1 for 1 variation. The variation was only required if I wanted to keep the old 22 while I bought the new one and added it to my FAC
Sounds like a very commonsense approach. Wouldn't mind seeing this across the UK, or even just Gloucestershire.

Check with your FLO first, many RFD's will swap moderators if they have no serial nos. but as you are looking at a free one for one variation why risk your certificate?
:old:

Given that I asked Lothian and Borders licensing Dept the same question two weeks ago, I don`t think I do bud.

As for moderators, I bought my latest full bore mod from e-bay, from a non license holder. My rfd put it on my ticket for me.
Again all done under the guidance of L&B and I suspect they now what they are talking about.

And there was me being silly enough to believe all licencing areas were bound by the same home office guidance.

That is a 1 for 1 you've done. Did you send back the ticket to get the old 22 taking off table 1?

Because it is an offence - it's even a stated case in law. Maybe Lothian & Borders FLD need to check the HO Guidance before advising you?

:eek:

The person selling or transferring the rifle would have also committed an offence as you wouldn't have had the relevant entry in the S.1.ii section of your FAC, 'Firearms authorised to be purchased or acquired'

“One for one” variations
10.51 A variation is always necessary if a
certificate holder wishes to change one of the
firearms, even if they wish to purchase one
identical to the one they are selling (Wilson v
Coombe, Queen’s Bench Divisional Court, July
1988).
“One for one” variation refers to
firearms that are authorised to be acquired
at the same time as one is being disposed
of. For practical purposes this is normally
taken to be within seven days. The use