stalking in cumbria

weeman

Hi guys im wanting to go hill stalking in cumbria for a 8 to 10 pointer red stag around the beginnin of October time. Can anyone reccommend any body, also what kind of price will i be looking to have to pay, i have looked at the BASC offer

Sorry ment to ask too. It is my birthday on febuary 2nd i turn 29, my girlfriend has offered to buy me a hunting knive which i will use for gralloching etc. any suggestions on a make. Also she is allowing me to go stalking if fortuant enough i will pay of course. if any body can help or wood like to no more please ask, i live in lancashire. :) :D

Different people will offer you different view on hunting knives, as to whether a cheap or expensive one is best...

Basically cheap ones don't bother you as much if you lose one, and allow you to hone your knife sharpening skills without too mush worry of dulling a good knife.

As far as cheap knives go, most people will probably reccomend Frost knives (and I think you can get them with a blaze orange handle so they are harder to misplace).

As for more expensive knives, I would go for either a Cutco drop point with a blaze orange handle, or a Fallkniven F1 or H1 - I personally like the H1 knife, but don't like the sheath it comes with as much as it hangs low from your belt, and so I have an F1 instead.

If you want paid stalking, you could try Greenlee deer in Northumberland (Near Hexham). I don't know anyone in Cumbria, but some other members may be able to help you.

Google the knives and Greenlee and you will find more information on them.

Gez

The Lowther Estate near Penrith offer some red stalking on Shap but it won't be cheap, the stalker is Gregor Cattenach, I have been there for roe and he is very good.

Here's the link

http://www.lowther.co.uk/sporting/

I think Forest Enterprise allow some reds to be taken on Grizedale but they are not hill stags..

lowther

Lowther offer a very good service but it REALLY isnt cheap. :eek: Theres often an ad in the back of the Shooting Times for Reds in Cumbria. I'll see if I can find it

weeman said:
Hi guys im wanting to go hill stalking in cumbria for a 8 to 10 pointer red stag around the beginnin of October time. Can anyone reccommend any body, also what kind of price will i be looking to have to pay, i have looked at the BASC offer

Try "Jonathan Standing" 01539 552 252 and he is a taxidermist too.
He had a classified at sporting rifle said "hill stalking-North Lake District Area".

try laurie walton on 01768 774344 ,mob 07765 878647 he manages the thirlmere herds on behalf of united utilites and is part of the basc sheme

THE man to go with is gregor cattanach , contact lowther estate office , ive been on the hill with him many times and youll have a great time ill put money on it . Johnathan standing is good to and laury walton seems to take alot of stags but you wont go wrong , he realy knows his trade , will teach you loads if you want to know and is great company . You will go again

Stan Barr is your man to contact for stalking in Cumbria I Havent his number off hand But Hubert has it (Stag1933)
Cheers
Stu

Back