Anyone using Teckels

bambislayer

He just wondering if anyone is working Teckels, and how you're getting on with them. I had one years ago , he was ok and did the job although he didn't shine, however I love their look and character :confused:

deer dogs

hi had a teckel now for 4 years befor that had a couple of gwp,s .teckel is good on deer and wild boar but the only problem i find is that they are small when baying on wounded animals she is good but she just aint bigenough to give it that extra bit dont get me wrong she has had here fair share of scrapes with deer and boar but somtimes size does matter.
I got a baverian now and its great 18 mths old and working very well but still a pup has been earning his keep and would put a lot of older dogs to bear .

I made the mistake with my Teckle and started hunting with him before the tracking was completed. He tracks but not as well as i hoped.
I trained a teckle bitch that i sent to my mate doghound. He has trained the bitch further and i think that little bitch will hold its own against any tracking dog.
But the problem is that they are not dogs that are easy to take stalking with you. You have to keep an eye on them all the time otherwise they are off hunting.
My boy Charlie
charlie.jpg

This is my first Teckel called hazel and she is 4 months old. She is a great dog and im quite happy with her deer tracking. I havent taken her out stalking yet but i think i will in the next month when i think shes ready. The first photo was taken by my brother.
Brent
Hazelphoto.jpg

DeerTracking002.jpg

Nice looking pup you have there Brent. I like the wild eyed look she has with the hoof :)

teckles

Jagare said:
I made the mistake with my Teckle and started hunting with him before the tracking was completed. He tracks but not as well as i hoped.
I trained a teckle bitch that i sent to my mate doghound. He has trained the bitch further and i think that little bitch will hold its own against any tracking dog.
But the problem is that they are not dogs that are easy to take stalking with you. You have to keep an eye on them all the time otherwise they are off hunting.
My boy Charlie
charlie.jpg
jagare i think you cant dismiss a breed because of ones failing like they say its not bad dogs its bad owners ,we are all learning at this game ,we expect these dogs to be outgoing so they do the job of tracking game and you have to keep an eye on any dog unless you got a big fat lab no offence to big fat labs.i dont let my dogs hunt until they track the hunting gives to many ops for bad habbits,

Pauljagd, don't try and teach your granny how to suck eggs. I have a cesky terrier for tracking and very good he is too. My teckle is for hunting roe. He comes from one of the best hunting lines in Sweden. I did say i made a mistake when training him to tracking by hunting him before he was ready. I know when i have made a mistake.
Not for one second would i suggest that a teckle would not make a excellent tracking dog. BUT THEY ARE NOT EASY TO TAKE WITH YOU WHEN YOU STALK. If you want a dog to walk by your side whilst stalking there are better breeds for that.
I have a Kopov in training and he won't be entered to boar till he is fully trained at tracking.

Hunting with charlie just after Christmas
Foto0013.jpg

Jagare said:
I have a Kopov in training and he won't be entered to boar till he is fully trained at tracking.

Foto0013.jpg

I thought about getting a Kopov as alternative to the BMH. They look like cracking dogs! What are they like on cold blood trails?

Hej Deer man. The kopov is coming on really well. I'm only training him with boar hooves as he will only be used for hunting, tracking boar. I would normaly train with a roe hoof but i don't want to give him any ideas about hunting roe.
The BMH would be a much better choice for a tracking dog in the UK.
Nikoviltsprtraing011.jpg

Looking at the pics of the teckels is making me want another one .

I think one thing that has maybe been missed in some of the threads about "which dog?" has been , what dog suits you?

We all have preferences just like humans dogs/breeds have diferent temperaments.

Teckels however much I love them , infuriate me! It's a love - hate thing.

Not the dogs fault

I worked mine under ground at foxes, he was a very good earth dog [very lazy though!], does anyone else?

Through a mistake he bread with one of my jack russels, all the pups have been excellent fox terriers.

teckels

Jagare said:
Pauljagd, don't try and teach your granny how to suck eggs. I have a cesky terrier for tracking and very good he is too. My teckle is for hunting roe. He comes from one of the best hunting lines in Sweden. I did say i made a mistake when training him to tracking by hunting him before he was ready. I know when i have made a mistake.
Not for one second would i suggest that a teckle would not make a excellent tracking dog. BUT THEY ARE NOT EASY TO TAKE WITH YOU WHEN YOU STALK. If you want a dog to walk by your side whilst stalking there are better breeds for that.
Sorry Jagare only been doing the job for over 20 years and as i said most of a dogs faults come from us as they start to learn as soon as they open there eyes .so tell me you have a dog for each species you hunt.and i must say all my dogs walk to heel when stalking without a hunting lead sit under a high seat without a lead blood trail on a lead and will free hunt yes Teckle and Bavarian.
So tell me what would your best all round breed be as an allrounder .

Foto0013.jpg

Re: teckels

pauljagd said:
Jagare said:
[quotewould]Sorry Jagare only been doing the job for over 20 years and as i said most of a dogs faults come from us as they start to learn as soon as they open there eyes .so tell me you have a dog for each species you hunt.and i must say all my dogs walk to heel when stalking without a hunting lead sit under a high seat without a lead blood trail on a lead and will free hunt yes Teckle and Bavarian.
So tell me what
your best all round breed be as an allrounder .
Foto0013.jpg
[/quote]

20 years your just a beginner :D . I have hunting dogs. The type that HUNT. because we HUNT roe and boar with dogs. We also have a legal obligation to have a dog suitable for tracking any wounded game of the type we are hunting . As i said Teckles are not the best tracking dog if you want one to walk by your side whilst stalking. If you have one that will do that good for you. But in my limited 40 years of stalking and training dogs what i said about the teckle is true.
Shame i won't be at the dog for deer day this time for i'm sure we could have exchanged notes :D.

Back