.270 love it or hate it.

smithp18

Hi All,
I was wondering more out of curiosity than anything else.
What do the guys on this site think about the .270 calibre.?
I personally really like it, I accept that there are advantages and disadvantages but that the case with any calibre.
Yet when you read reviews, listen to debate people either love or hate the .270.
Of course its personnel thing and see interesting threads on this site covering other calibres.
So I thought I might be interesting to see what opinion is, bearing in mind that we some very experienced seasoned campaigners on this forum who know what there talking about.
So over to you., :lol: :mad: :lol: ;)

Thanks

Smithy

270 for me

This is going to cause some die in the whole 30 calibre boys to spit, but I have used a 270 for over 20 years. I personally like the round, and have used it on all the British species and in Africa.

Some folk hate it, as it tends to kick a bit, rather than push. But with a moddy on the end it is a joy to shoot, and although for homeloaders you have not got the bullet variation that a 308 has, a 270 does it for me.

I also like the 25.06 which is another favourite caliber of mine.

270 gets my vote.

smithp18 said:
Hi All,
I was wondering more out of curiosity than anything else.
What do the guys on this site think about the .270 calibre.?
I personally really like it, I accept that there are advantages and disadvantages but that the case with any calibre.
Yet when you read reviews, listen to debate people either love or hate the .270.
Of course its personnel thing and see interesting threads on this site covering other calibres.
So I thought I might be interesting to see what opinion is, bearing in mind that we some very experienced seasoned campaigners on this forum who know what there talking about.
So over to you., :lol: :mad: :lol: ;)

Thanks

Smithy

.270's All the noise of a 30-06 and a bigger slap, but none of the versatility. None of the advantages of a short actioned .308 and again not as versatile. If you don't want to step up to a 30cal buy a 6.5X55. Does all that a .270 does just does it better. IMHO

If I was into custom calibres and home loading I'd opt for a .260.

200yds or under makes no difference you should still have a dead deer, whichever calibre you use. I just prefer to do it with a 270 with a mod on, no noise ;)

Get inside 50yds and you could do it with a .22rf. ;)

Why shoot a calibre that you need to fit a mod to in order to tame it or as so many do download it and make it a pleasure to use?

Like you say its down to personal choice. It just not for me. I'm not a lover of mods either so its a double loser for me.

Mr Rabbit

You need to chill out a bit.

6.5x55 nice
270 nice
7x64 nice
308 nice
30-06 nice
mod on mod off - quiet/noisy

If you think a 270 has a kick try a 375 or 458 Lott

Medium calibers are all medium calibres so there is no significant advantage between any of them just personal preference. My preference is 7x64 because its a nice looking cartridge :D

100_0358.jpg

Rabbit said:
Other way around Slash .270=6.3mm & .260= 6.5mm

Mr Rabbit

Learn to count :evil: :evil:

.270=6.8mm

.270 I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it. :D

but as Mark says makes bugger all difference under 200yrds which ever deer legal cal' you use.

Best rgds

Thar

Malc and Mark are right, within certain constraints it makes not a lot of difference what you use, it is just personal preference and not a thing to get worked up over. Me. I mostly use a 6.5X55 because I like and the range of heads available make it extremely attractive for the homeloader. Of course, I have only ever fired one weight in mine, 129 grain Hornady Interlocks (but I do have other weights waiting to be loaded).

Why? because I would have no excuse for having more than one rifle ;)

John

Didnt I read in one of these posts that some of you guys have a 375 with a mod.

I have a 375 but use it mostly in Finland and Africa, but the old girl can kick a wee bit, especially with a 300 grain federal solid in it.

Mr Rabbit, I am not knocking you, I just prefer to keep things quiet, especially with Sika deer, they do tend to be a bit more switched on I find, and therefore a mod is good to have on the rifle. Hopefully it will also save what little hearing I have left.

B-B
You are absolutely correct. Must have been having a minor braindrain. :lol:
I'll go stand in the corner and finish writing my 500 lines. :lol:

And the names Rabbit there's no need to call me Mr :D

Apologises to Slpash

Malc

I took nothing as personal , as I hope you didn't.
I agree Sika especially, (C. Nippon nippon)Sika are incredibly skittish. Thats why I love stalking them most of all.
I'm still a disliker of mods, as you still have the sonic crack disturbing the deer. I prefer ear plugs to mods, less cumbersome , less weight and they don't un balance the rifle. They also do a better job of saving your hearing.

No need rabbit ! your appreciation of the .260 was enough for me .

calling me slash made me smile though. :oops:

I have used 270, and it`s not for me,as I probably a bit old fashioned as I like a good sized lump of lead going at a moderate speed, not whizz bang fast light bullets (except in my 22-250 :lol: )
just prefer my 30-06 which does everything it says on the box,large or small animals, long way off or close up.
There is too much "which calibre is best" etc, it`s what calibre suits you, fits you and you are happy with, and my 30-06 ticks all those boxes for me, and have to say alot of clients used it, and they loved it too, probably because it was a quality rifle, which also makes a lot of difference too.
Also, how can you improve on something that was deisgned in 1905 and is still going strong.
Beat that all you lovers of new fandangled calibres ! :p :p
AND, when someone makes a moderator which doesn`t absolutley ruin the looks of a rifle, sound like a bean can when it touches a branch etc,I may consider getting one.

john.d.m said:
Also, how can you improve on something that was deisgned in 1905 and is still going strong.
AND, when someone makes a moderator which doesn`t absolutley ruin the looks of a rifle, sound like a bean can when it touches a branch etc,I may consider getting one.
John

6.5X55Swe 1884 :lol:
Absolutely agree with you on the mod front.
Also its a sellers market at the moment. As soon as the Koreans and Chinese get a whiff of the potential profit margins once the US market gets going then we shall see a difference. Stuff thats being knocked out at £200-£300 will be down to less than half the current prices.

Agree with you malc, The bushwear covers for your can are essential and fantastic at cutting out the 'ting'

There is too much "which calibre is best" etc, it`s what calibre suits you, fits you and you are happy with, and my 30-06 ticks all those boxes for me, and have to say alot of clients used it, and they loved it too, probably because it was a quality rifle, which also makes a lot of difference too.

Hi John

Has the 30-06 NOT been improved since 1905 ? or are you loading with CORDITE ???

Only pulling your chain. :lol:

.270 winchester

The .270 is a proven game getter. the 130 grain deer load has killed a lot lot lot of animals. It is a great. with a 90 grain varminting bullet it is good for 3500 fps with 150 grain it is good for 2900 fps with LOADS of sectional density for knocking big stuff down.

Some say it is loud and recoils, In my experience felt recoil only matters on the range, If you zero sensibley and not shoot loads and loads of rounds no problem.... if you shoot loads you might find you get a flinch (?) maybe. When it comes to giving bambi the good news felt recoil never bothers me. I use a .30-06 and it is also great.

You can get 270 ammo everywhere. It is not currently fashionable so rifles are cheap.

just my opinion

swampy

Back