30.06 loads

wag

I've just bought a steyer manl in pro mountain(shorter barrel)

I seem to remember a thread regarding the struggle they had getting groups.

I plan to 165gn noslers with v150 or h4895 and wondered if anyone has first experience and a good starting point.

Thanks in advance

I have a Sako 85 in 30-06 with a 20 inch barrel. I use 165 grain Speer SPBT with 61 grains of Viht N160. This load gives 2,800 mv with very good consistency over the chronograph. It is very effective on the larger deer species without undue damage, depending on shot placement. I have used it for several years without problems, mainly on Fallow.
Some Muntjac have been culled with this load, without any more (probably less) damage than a less powerful round. However I suspect that a badly placed (shoulder blades for example) shot would cause severe damage, owing to the power.

I have a Sako 85 in 30-06 with a 20 inch barrel. I use 165 grain Speer SPBT with 61 grains of Viht N160. This load gives 2,800 mv with very good consistency over the chronograph. It is very effective on the larger deer species without undue damage, depending on shot placement. I have used it for several years without problems, mainly on Fallow.
Some Muntjac have been culled with this load, without any more (probably less) damage than a less powerful round. However I suspect that a badly placed (shoulder blades for example) shot would cause severe damage, owing to the power.

That seams like a lot of powder but if it works for you with your set up...........

Dave

I used to load my 1903-A3 Service Match rifle with 168 grain Sierras and 44.5 grains of H4895. It was a mild but super accurate load.~Muir

In reply to the comments regarding 'a lot of powder' and 'compressed load'. I agree it is a lot of powder when I compare it with the 13 grains in my hornet.
The old Viht' manual gives 63.7 grains of N160 as a maximum load for a 167 grain bullet. The later Viht manual gives 61.7 grains of N160 maximum.
61 grains just fills the case to the bottom of the neck. It is not a compressed load for the 165 grain Speer bullet. As all us reloaders know only too well, it may work fine in my rifle but not another one. As Dave says.. it works well for me. Best regards.

If powder doesn't rattle in the case it's gottabe partially compressed,I've only tried one comp load I didn't like it,Ive not bothered since

I use a Blaser R93 in 30-06 got the barrel last year put a load together using 58.grns Reloader 19 Sierra 165 spbt it gave a mv of around 2650 but is comfortable to shoot and very accurate,
I also did some with 57.7 gns of H4350 same tip there's a bit more recoil but mv is up to 2800fps and it shoots a bit flatter still groups well at distance
niether of these loads are compressed and meat damage is not bad either have used it on Fallow Red & Fox's

I use a Blaser R93 in 30-06 got the barrel last year put a load together using 58.grns Reloader 19 Sierra 165 spbt it gave a mv of around 2650 but is comfortable to shoot and very accurate,
I also did some with 57.7 gns of H4350 same tip there's a bit more recoil but mv is up to 2800fps and it shoots a bit flatter still groups well at distance
niether of these loads are compressed and meat damage is not bad either have used it on Fallow Red & Fox's
That is almost the same load i have settled on, IMR4350, 57grains Sierra 165grain.
Cheers
Richard

That is almost the same load i have settled on, IMR4350, 57grains Sierra 165grain.
Cheers
Richard

Two different powders there of which I have both but have yet to try either in my 30.06. Hmmm......
Better have a look online and see if there is much difference.

Trust me on this one. Use H4350, around 56-58gns (caveats apply). Four hunting buddies and I use this exact load and it shoots 1.25" or better in all our rifles. If it dosen't shoot that accurately, you need an exorcist, or a new gun! capt david

Trust me on this one. Use H4350, around 56-58gns (caveats apply). Four hunting buddies and I use this exact load and it shoots 1.25" or better in all our rifles. If it dosen't shoot that accurately, you need an exorcist, or a new gun! capt david
That backs up my statement so i am sure he will take our advice!
Cheers
Richard

Fellas I was wondering if a 150 grn head sbt would be ok for munties??? Also the 165 grn heads that are being mentioned are they SBT or HPBT??

Ta very much

After finally getting the moderator sorted out I made the second batch of rounds to test. The bullets are 165gn noslers bt and I had Viht 150 powder. After the first batch grouped at approx 4' i was a little concerned as to me actually getting a decent group. I checked viht recipes and selected to use 48gn of powder.The rounds where loaded 10 thou of the lands with the idea that i would reduce this to find the best length as the shooting progressed. I started shooting and the group appeared straight away. My normal method is to fire the first two of a certain length and if they dont touch/ or are close i dont fire the third round. I then reduce the length with the lee hand press until the group appears. Well on this occasion it grouped first time . The first three shots seem to be in a string and i'm hopping someone can expain a string to me and why it occurs. I was also wondering if i should up the powder and see if the group holds with a bit more velocity,or should i just leave it alone.

!IMG_20120211_130413.jpg

Last edited:
Back