Recession , How many more will hit the wall

Monument veiw

Its a worrying time for most at the moment . I had a call yesterday from a long standing friend who has been in the building game for 25 yrs to ask me if i wanted to buy any of his kit , obviously i asked him why and he explained that he is about to go bust / hit the wall .
His situation has been caused by a company that he sub contracted work off of had gone bust basically leaving him owed 2 months labour costs and the knock on effect is going to put him through the hoop .
In reality being a builder myself with minimal work in front of me i too will be pulling the pin on working for myself very soon .

I suppose that what iam asking is how many others are being effected by this ever deepening reccession ?

hi same boat has you eccept i do grounds/tree/hedge work for rural houseing association and parish councils having to quote so low that im having a job to break even private gardening no better looks like i will have to try to get back into enginering if theres any left:banghead:

Worked offshore for 11 years then 26 as a self-employed haulier and have today put my truck up for sale... £1.50/litre and the most controlled industry in the UK have swung my decision.

forgot the travelers (rant) undercutting me no vat/insurance/tools to pay for they did a p--s poor job of next doors coniffers then thay ask me if i can tidy them up and pull a face when i ask for a bit of cash to cover costs

Hey Niel tell me about it , a farmer whos ground i shoot over rings me at stupid hrs to repair things like a water leek or to re hang a gate he has hit off ,even to replace tiles on his roof all of which i do for the bit of shooting ( no charge ) then when he has the outside of the farm house rejointed he gets some1 else to do it , i wouldnt mind but his land is the smallest and least productive permission i shoot . :banghead:

Well i work in a factory making concrete walls for houses,flats and factories. We are full up with work to well into 2012. We have taken on more labour to cope with all the work. It might get a bit slower later in the year but as i retire in 2 years. I'm not worried.

been a builder for 26 years. The thieving pikeys robbed my van and tools towards the end of last year and can't afford to replace everything. house on the market to downsize then pack this stupid game in. The last job i did i struggled to cover wages never mind a profit. This was a 22 room animal hospital built from the ground up. When the roof was finished i gave a price to plaster it and they said that if i could match the other price of £5.50 an hour i could do it. Yea right.
The job has had it.

I think the above stories are the start of what will be a bad year.
I too am self employed and have a lot of eggs in one basket. I currently am chasing them for payments not because i need it or its over due but rather a case i dont want them owing me a lot of monies if something bad happens..

yep i,ve got my own scaffolding business, in 2009 2 companys went bust leaving me with a 60k debt and a 22k vat bill,layed 10 men off went back too me and just a lad and i,d not been on tools for 4 years. slowly built back up now have 5 men but will not take on anymore lads on and no jobs over 10k,were as before i was doing 50k/60k jobs.i,ve just managed to clear my debt but sold everything by my house. my race car,transporter,50k of scaffold,3 wagons and my car(still not got a car) struggling 2 pay wages week in week out so mite have too lay a man off. again if everyone payed when we put the scaffolds up i,d be well off but as always months of chasing and only getting dribs and drabs. i,m ready for throwing the towel in as £500 aweek of goverment would do for me!!!!!!!!!stav

hi same boat has you eccept i do grounds/tree/hedge work for rural houseing association and parish councils having to quote so low that im having a job to break even private gardening no better looks like i will have to try to get back into enginering if theres any left:banghead:
go back to engineering thats a joke what engineering just been layed off again 2nd time in less than a year from differant companys. just no engineering companeys left around my area give the idear up. i want to be an mp money for old rope and you can allways get a job in the old boys club nice 2 days a week job on the board of directors 80-100 thousand a year thats better than engineering.

I have often wondered how someone involved in shooting could, when needing to spend money on goods or services, find a tradesman or supplier who is a fellow shooter and keep the money in the "family" if you get my meaning? Generally shooters are decent, trustworthy people and i would much rather give my Business to one be it Builder, Gardener or whatever.
Not sure how this could be achieved but i think the sentiment is sound.
Yorkie.

It`s frightening to think how bad things can still get and we`re edging towards another recession (i don`t think we ever came out of the last one) It`s almost like a bottomless pit. I dread to think what things will be like for our grandkids and great grandkids.
basil.

We've been in recession is 1997. Just we fixed it with borrowed money. Its the "i want it i want it mentality" that's destroyed us. Everything as we know it in the Uk is built on credit nothing is actually paid for.

I am half way through a job and the client today turns around and tells me he cannot pay until April :doh:

We are going going through legal proceedings at the moment with one client who specified oak as an extra for all the woodwork in the house ie doors casings skirting and stairs and thought it was all the same price after a lengthy discussion at the time regarding the difference in costs we have a qs with the drawing and he turned around and said i have paid you x number of pounds thats enough. I have heard offf another few contractors lately that have been shafted for the payments and it will get worse

Last edited:
We are going going through legal proceedings at the moment with one client who specified oak as an extra for all the woodwork in the house ie doors casings skirting and stairs and thought it was all the same price after a lengthy discussion at the time regarding the difference in costs we have a qs with the drawing and he turned around and said i have paid you x number of pounds thats enough. I have heard offf another few contractors lately that have been shafted for the payments and it will get worse
i'd rip the bast4rd lot out and put mdf in its place and see what he thinks to that... people like that get right on my tats..

things are very bad across the way hear in ireland
caused by greed and recklessness

im a chippie so have felt the downturn hard
alot of people with no ties have up and gone
a generation for export

we re struggling at the minute to see a future in this country
god only knows what it ll be like for or kids

Watch out for Adonis construction, bad payers they owe me 45k, been 2 years! However they are not the only ones subby bashing.
Cut your cloth appropriately I'm afraid, it's hard for all.

Watch out for Adonis construction, bad payers they owe me 45k, been 2 years! However they are not the only ones subby bashing.
Cut your cloth appropriately I'm afraid, it's hard for all.

not so good, alloa company stung me for £19,470 three years ago, receiver got paid tax man got paid water rates paid .... workers not paid but heh presto some other firm now has flats completed and selling them and me well nothing 0 in the £.. am i bitter no..ha ha

one of the companys that took me for 22k have set back up as carin build and design in yorkshire stay well clear guy's

Back