S&B Scope - a bargain?

Daemo

Hi guys - just found this on eblag

8x56 S&B, Hungarian - new, buy it now price £339 - UK seller, free p&p.

If you are in the market for one it sounds like a good price.

Just a thought though - don't blame me if its less than perfect, im just the messenger!

Cheers

Daemon

:D

whats the difference between these and the german ones then?
also im not to keen on the reticle,
what do you guys think?

scope

1shot1kill, ive got a s & b 8x56 with a 30mm tube its hungarian, i asked what the difference was & the gun shop owner said the only differance is that 1 is from germany & 1 is from hungry its the same scope,& an excellent one at that andy :D

Hungarian Vs German

I have asked a S&B salesman what the difference was.

He confirmed all components are exactly the same.

Skilled labour is cheaper in Eastern Europe.

I have a S&B 8x56 Hungarian. Why pay an extra £200+ for it to say German on it instead of Hungarian, with no difference in quality!!!

S&B Hungarian

The retail on these will go mental if the £ > € price does not improve.

I have 2 S&B scopes one german in 3-10x56 and a 8x56 fixed, both are tops

The reticles are thicker european style for hunting not the paper puncher plex reticles of the USA.

They take getting used to and whan zeroing @150m it can cover the point of exact aim but all in all excellent quality.

You won't go wrong with one of these scopes, I have a Hungarian one and it's very good.
was on the phone this morning to York Guns for a cleaning kit for it and out of interest I asked for a price on one 30mm tube------£548

I bought mine last May and it cost me £410 brand new
Did not realise how much they have gone up.

Jonathon

Hi i bought a s&b hungarian 8x56 last June before the euro went completely crackers im just so glad i did i love it to bits woodnt swap it ive taken shots from 100 yards to 230 it hasnt let me down.

I bought a second hand 8X56 Hungarian about 18 months ago for £250. It has worked well for me and really is wonderful glass for that sort of money. I know that fixed magnification scopes are not exactly flavour of the day but it is ideal for me as there is nothing to fiddle with and I can have excellent glass for less than the cost of most of the low end variables.

As others have said it will cover the precise point of aim at 100+ yards but for most purposes that isn't such a big deal.

I would guess that I'd soon be able to sell it for more than I paid for it and I would certainly say that it is worth considering 2nd hand optics if they are coming from a reliable source.

Just my ten penneth,
back from Poland, boar shooting under the full moon over snow. A thick reticule would have actualy been very useful in those conditions! My duplex was just too thin to see against the side of a boar.

caorach said:
I bought a second hand 8X56 Hungarian about 18 months ago for £250. It has worked well for me and really is wonderful glass for that sort of money. I know that fixed magnification scopes are not exactly flavour of the day but it is ideal for me as there is nothing to fiddle with and I can have excellent glass for less than the cost of most of the low end variables.

I have found someone I agree with. WOW!!!! :D

buckup said:
Just my ten penneth,
back from Poland, boar shooting under the full moon over snow. A thick reticule would have actualy been very useful in those conditions! My duplex was just too thin to see against the side of a boar.

Was out foxing the other night under a full moon, checked to see what the clarity was like without the lamp. Bloody brilliant. could of taken a fox without the aid of the lamp if one showed up.

My foxing mate has taken one out at 240m with my fixed 8x56, so Not that fussed about getting a variable .

jonathon

I have a Swarovski fixed 8x50 on the 222rem. I love it. As Caorach says, simple excellent glass, no messing around with a variable. I am thinking of moving it onto my new 260 when I eventually get it.

I know of a S&B 10x42 fixed that can be bought at the right price, should be perfect on the 222 which does 95% of it's work lamping.

The S&B Hungarian 8x56 IR is an amazing low light scope, for a relatively sensible price - relative to S&B or Swaro variable IR's anyway.

I am a big fan of fixed scopes in general.

buckup said:
Just my ten penneth,

This is the one time when a quality illuminated reticule really comes into it's own.

I spent 4 nights in a high seat in the Czech Rep a couple of years ago. You can see then the use of an IR.

Back