gun shops / pricing

I had plenty of ammo with me but not happy with the grouping when i got there. This ammo shot ok last week .malmo guns had no ppu i phoned them a week before. This place had no ppu said he never heard of it .I seen my arse over the £3.05 extra he charged over night not £2.00. it was the reps remark that this is the man to buy a rifle off that pushed it a bit to far after he stood there and watched me complain. I needed them other wise it would have ment a another visit some where else. it 1 1/2 hours there and back. . if my vehicle had not broken down on friday i would have used my local gun shop

From wot i hear that shop is fairly competative with its new gun prices, the ammount off 2nd hand stock he has in he must sell a bit, and the second hand stuff always seems not to bad either. The few folk i know who use him won't go anywhere else so he must be doing something right.
It's a shame u've had a bad experience with him.

i never buy loaded rounds any more as i reload but about five years ago i went into my local rfd with my £30 in hand and asked what he had in 243 i have winchester and sako. whats the price of sako i ask ? £36-20p was the reply well the words just came out you robbing b---ard i said well i just had to appolagise and leave when i told my mate what i said he said yes but you ment it. now i dont mind supporting any local gunshop just so long as he is not going to rob you just because he can we all want to make a living i know shooters who live less than a mile who will not use his shop he is far to expensive is the reply.

Where abouts is this gunshop??

I know a lot of guys who use this shop and all would vote that the prices and staff are excellent. There firearms work is to a very hih standard. A mate traded in his old Sako .270 for a new .22-250 and the trade in value he was offered was far better than expected. The guy must have seen our reactions as we were both stood there with our mouths open. I recently bought a few boxes of .17hmr and they were £4 a box cheaper than my local RFD. I would really consider that there was a mistake made on your first purchase and the correct price asked for on day two.

test valley guns overton

I know it was a few years back ammunition prices had a huge knock on effect across the board when the pound crashed against the euro.

The last box of norma i bought from him were just under £40/box, but i don't know anywhere else south of basingstoke that can offer what i need, without spending a fortune in diesel to get there.

An a couple of hours travelling saved is another couple of hours to spend out shooting :)

Don't see the point in burning £15's worth of diesel just to save £10.

last year i was using border gun rooms and for a box of 80g .243 remmy express rifle they were taking 36 quid continental shooting at dalry was 28 and dalglieshies were 29 you do the maths its a fair few quid if your buying a few boxes ..i liked bgr because they were as some said friendly and very helpfull and with other things we got there id say pretty compeditive but i know where im buying my ammo

it's like food shopping..you buy your water, juice, wine and canned food at Lidl, herring, rye bread, cakes and beer at Aldi, vegetables and meat at Morrisons, tex mex, sauces and cereals at sainsbury's, and delicatessen and fish at Waitrose...

Do you go to Borders Gun Room for scopes, no.
Do you go to Borders Gun Room to buy a new rifle,,,yes for price, no for ability to test shoot.
Do you go to Borders Gun Room for factory ammo, no for price, yes if you need to
Do you go to Borders Gun Room for reloading gear, no.
Do you go to Borders Gun Room for bullets, powder and primers, yes if in stock
Do you go to Borders Gun Room for fishing gear, yes
Do you go to Borders Gun Room for a smile and a chat, no...unless you've been coming for years, then yes;)
Do you go to Borders Gun Room for smithing work, yes..for 'technical smithing and gun-building',,no.
Does sean come across to 'unknowns' as a bit arrogant and non-caring, yes..but does he care and do you good if you're nice and become a regular, yes.

do I have too much time on my hands today,,yes.

Went to the garage today, petrol had gone up 1p a litre overnight, **** rip off artists I refused to buy on principal – wouldn’t you :stir:

Not shooting tomorrow, no petrol in car, any one offering me a lift :-|

it's like food shopping..you buy your water, juice, wine and canned food at Lidl, herring, rye bread, cakes and beer at Aldi, vegetables and meat at Morrisons, tex mex, sauces and cereals at sainsbury's, and delicatessen and fish at Waitrose...

.....hope you would be using home delivery to save on the fuel:D

I know it was a few years back ammunition prices had a huge knock on effect across the board when the pound crashed against the euro.

The last box of norma i bought from him were just under £40/box, but i don't know anywhere else south of basingstoke that can offer what i need, without spending a fortune in diesel to get there.

An a couple of hours travelling saved is another couple of hours to spend out shooting :)

Don't see the point in burning £15's worth of diesel just to save £10.
home to bisley £10 243 ammo in nra prive £12 and thats soft point not £40

Well personally speaking, Sean has done me a few good turns, Any work done on my rifles has been top quality and a great price, I buy guns there, and recently sold a pile of airguns to him at better than private sale prices.

He is straight talking. When you get a price, thats it! don`t haggle, accept it or go somewhere else. Coming from Edinburgh where the alternative is Dicksons,, I accept !:lol:

I don`t buy ammo there, as Mains of Haddington is a good friend and I try to put as much cash his way as I can. But for anything gun related, Sean, first stop, always.

ATB

Prices go up overnight on all products, or they would never go up.ammo mark up is so little that unless you sell a lot it's not worth it, that's why most shops only stock the main calibres, to say this shop will not get your custom when you need a new gun is cutting your nose of to spite your face as he may be cheaper than the next shop.

I do not think there are more gun shops opening up than are closing down, and I do not think those that are closing down are due to the owners retiring to the Bahamas. As always, if you think these businesses are ripping you off, set up in competition and see how you get on.

Back