Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 Versus 7WSM

.270 Versus 7WSM

I am at the point of considering going down the route of a 7WSM.
    I currently have a .270 which shoots well enough, but i feel the urge for a change.

Does anyone have experience of the 7WSM over a .270?

All positive input would be appreciated!

Only positive input? I can only offer my opinion on this: In 10 years you won't have to hunt for 270 brass! Why not consider a 284 Winchester instead? With so many people building 6.5-284's the brass supply will last quite a while, I think.~Muir

SD Regular
    East Midlands M1/M69 Junction 21
    I would agree. You may find input in the appropriate section, on the American subscribed forum but I wouldn't give positive feedback either on the 7 WSM.

Can't see what it does, except sell NEW RIFLES, that puts it si far ahead of any similar capability cartridge to make it worthwhile.

It might have a role, and an advantage, in a single shot bolt action or break-open type firearm (pistol or rifle) but it a conventional magazine rifle for stalking? Can't see it!

the 7wsm has some pretty good balistics and is verry accurate at long range and good choice of bullets but is verry hard on barrels ,much wasted on a short range stalking rifle unless you shoot well out their

Have you thought of the 270wsm???

Its a little bit different, not too harsh on barrels, easy to load for and less perceived recoil than your 270.

Just a thought.

Is there an advantage in the 7WSM over tge 7mm Rem Mag for stalking and field use? The 7 mm RM will be a lot easier to get ammo worldwide and probably cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    .......Can't see what it does, except sell NEW RIFLES...
    Enfield, it does not even do that. Commercially it is a dodo. The 270 and 300WSM are selling in the states, but not in big numbers.

The 7WSM seems to be flavour of the month with the long range F Class type guy's, but for a deer rifle in the UK it offers little only hassle over a 270.

If you want to hear the positive virtues of a 7wsm, I think Jon2 here has such a toy.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I have a .300wsm well, I will have it back very soon once mr Mckillop has finished with it.

I don't have to worry about brass either as my mate works in development for Norma!!! He sent me 1000 new cases!!!

I'll post some pics when I get it.

I have both these calibres / chamberings, the WSM has no advantage over the .270 for stalking, .......... (Ethical stalking that is!), but If you want to go out with a heavy bullet, see here!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

(The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!