Hello from Cambridgeshire

maximus otter

I'm an experienced shooter, but a newbie at stalking.

I retired from the police (sorry...) in 2004 and, like Milligan from Spike Milligan's book Puckoon, I'm "living off my wits and my pension, both hopelessly inadequate."

A good mate of mine introduced me to stalking in 2010 by inviting me to his land in the deep north of Scotland, where I took a 12-point red stag with one round from his 6.5 x 55mm Sako 75 at a range of 180 yards. That was me hooked!

I went back last autumn and took three more stags with the same rifle, all one-shot kills at ranges from 102 to 160 yards.

I have now booked my DSC.1 for June 2012, and I'm looking for a rifle in the magic 6.5mm calibre.

I currently own:

1. A Remington 700 in .308 which I shoot in informal target comps out to 1,000 yards
2. A BSA 1912 SMLE, because every Englishman should own an SMLE!
3. A Sako Finnfire Varmint in .22LR

I look forward to learning a lot, and contributing more and more as I learn.

maximus otter

Welcome, Maximus.

You've joined the growing ranks of Cambs. shooters of a certain age who've come out just recently.
An 'Uncle Norm' popped up only the other day, who must live near me (I'm in PE2 btw).....what's your outer postcode if you don't mind my asking?

You must be fairly fit if you can manage those Scottish hills. I would need some transport to help me out in the highlands, but can just about manage in the flow counties... which are almost like the Fens of home if you can avoid the humps.

Back