Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bullet seating depth

bullet seating depth

Advice required on seating bullets. Was wounding how people go about finding this information. do they use the OAL figure from reloading manuals or is there a method of working it out on indiviaual rifles?

Quite new to reloading so any advice would be welcome.

Hi mate the way I done it not having an oal gauge was to seat a head in an empty case as far out as I could then kept reducing the length slightly until the bullet would actually load into the rifle,Then still reducing slightly each time test firing 5 shot groups until I found what worked well for me.Not as technical as some peolpe and I'll probably get slaughtered for it but it worked for me.All the best with your tests Sean

Hi.I always find that at a bullet's diameter of the lands is a good starting .22 .224 of the lands.This is for my 22-250.

Start by seating 1 bullet diameter into the case, and 96% of max load - you'll most likely find your best group right there :-)

i did it the non scientific way to begin with.. however i would strongly advise getting an OAL guage as you can accurately measure the loaded round to the ogive. Forgive me if im teaching mother to suck eggs but the ogive is important as its where the round comes into contact with the lands of the barrel. if your measuring from tip of bullet to the head of the case then you may have fairly large differences which could alter accuracy but more importantly could be dangerous. unless your going to get an oal guage and either buy or make a guage to measure how long a round can be before it touches the rifling in your chamber then i would stick to what the book says. Anything else would be off piste and could be dangerous.

Find someone who reloads locally and see how they do it..

Sean what I found was that if I stuck to the same length as factory ammo my rifle shoots very well once the correct powder measure is found and increasing the oal actually spreads the grouping ,so a wee tip concentate on the powder amounts and forget oal just to get you started .Some may disagree .

I found that using an OAL gets you in the ball park, but found heads vary so much, that to get consistency you would be for ever adjusting the die, because dies don't use AOL.

I found the only consistent way is to use an ogive gauge, and ignore OAL.

My best advice would be to read 'The ABC's of Reloading' edited by Bill Chevalier. Reloading can be dangerous if you get it wrong and it doesn't take much to get it wrong!

+1 on Hw100, i personally find the best grouping using different charge weights and then alter the OAL (Ogive) to tighten up the groups.

Just a quick one and im being anal..

when talking about HEADS in reloading, its referring to the end of the case where the primer goes and where the HEADstamp is.
    A Bullet is the projectile which is fired from the case and the combination of case, primer, powder and bullet is called a ROUND.

Its not a dig at you or anyone in particular but using incorrect terms leads to ambiguity..
    Last edited by flyingfisherman; 27-01-2012 at 23:11. Reason: bad grammar!

Quote Originally Posted by hw100sniper View Post
    ,so a wee tip concentate on the powder amounts and forget oal just to get you started .Some may disagree .
    Some people like, Lee, Hornady and Lyman who all state in their reloading manuals that COAL is critical to accuracy. They even print you a spread of distances from the lands that will give you best accuracy.