Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The days of running trophy shooting as a business are over

The days of running trophy shooting as a business are over

The days of running trophy shooting as a business are coming to an end due to,

1. The change of approach to land management and the increased price of timber
    2. Populations having to be kept low as a result and small numbers of trophy animals
    3. financially not viable unless you have 20,000 acres or more

I would be interested to hear the opinion of folks who are in the industry?

never shot trophys, and if you are a deer manager it should not be your first consideration, as good heads have very little to do with the standard of deer or its management

surely the two run hand in hand in these modern times trophy animals /cull animals are all factored into a well thought out managment plan ,obviously getting animals to a trophy standard may take some time and i see where you are coming from but the revenue from trophy stock cannot be scoffed at, how long does it take for a hard wood tree to mature compared to a say a trophy red deer ,so 6 trophy red deer/yr may well contribute financially to the cost of a full time deer manager on 20,000 acres ,interesting stuff and i am not in the industry just a recreational stalker looking in on mainly lowland stalking .
    regards
    norma
    Last edited by norma 308; 28-01-2012 at 20:57.

Norma i can see where your coming from on say a large scottish estate, i was thinking on more of a southern size estate, where some people purchase the sporting rights on deer, so they can sell the good heads, and ignore the rest. This is not aimed at the original poster in anyway at all.

You can make a tidy living on muntie stalking on 500 acres of good woodland looked after right in the right area. You can make even more money by doing a fenced in job and charging stupid money for old park beasts of mixed species that can be bought for a sensible price and shot for a stupid prices.
    relax ..... read the questions through carefully and don't forget the kitkats
    https://www.facebook.com/paul.adkins.169
    Welcome to Galloway Fieldsports | Galloway Field Sports

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    You can make a tidy living on muntie stalking on 500 acres of good woodland looked after right in the right area. You can make even more money by doing a fenced in job and charging stupid money for old park beasts of mixed species that can be bought for a sensible price and shot for a stupid prices.
    Interesting business plan. How often are you going to stalk this 500 acres? How much will you charge per outing? How many muntjac do you expect to shoot? Will guests keep coming back if you keep taking them to the same ground? What do you call a tidy living? I think the national average income is around 35k. Where can you buy these old park deer? How will you capture/transport them?

Going back to the original question, I think that deer management in the UK has changed dramatically over the last few years and I think that it is very difficult to balance management for trophies and, what we as stalkers consider to be best practice especially where fallow and muntjac are concerned. With roe it is a little easier but one thing is for certain, you must have the support of the landowner or senior manager and all the other elements on the land such as farms, shoots, forestry etc must be reading from the same sheet.

Glyn.

I didn't want to restrict the debate too much but my interest is mainly concerning Roe deer where the landowner has enough land to warrant employing a deer manager and whether they can justify thier wage (ie, cover it and make the landowner money) when that is offset against the damage to forestry/crops.

Also if you are taking clients out and they are seeing 'good' animals but you are saving them to mature into potential trophys then you risk your reputation no matter how justified you are.
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 28-01-2012 at 20:19.

Another way to look at it is that a stalking business should break even on cull beasts, trophies are a bonus and can't be budgeted for due to variations in weather year to year and if other areas shoot trophy beasts when off your ground (species relevant). Most land owners won't allow deer managers to manage muntjac for trophies in the same way for the other species. I agree with Glyn, consistent management depends on estate/land wide cooperation.

Ys

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    You can make even more money by doing a fenced in job and charging stupid money for old park beasts of mixed species that can be bought for a sensible price and shot for a stupid prices.
    Good God. Thought this only happened in Bulgaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Norma i can see where your coming from on say a large scottish estate, i was thinking on more of a southern size estate, where some people purchase the sporting rights on deer, so they can sell the good heads, and ignore the rest. This is not aimed at the original poster in anyway at all.
    got you ! i was more going down the road of an estate owner would certainly not turn down the chance of offsetting some of the cost of his employees salary by offering cull beasts and some trophy heads to paying stalkers ,funny thing i have been asked by an estate owner if i would like to shoot a roe buck or two in scotland after the guy who leases the stalking has shot the trophy animals ...he isnt bothered with the cull animals ....his loss my gain .