Risk assesment

Dan Newcombe

I have got to do a risk assesment for a tenant farmer who wants to apply for his fire arms certificate on the estate i work on.

What would you put in there? Im finding it quite hard to single stuff out because its sort of second nature to be aware of things around you but i have to put in a bit of detail. Plus i dont really know the guy that well and havent shot with him.

So far i have:

Roads and footpaths, dont shoot at them (plus there is a right to roam on some of the ground). therefore know where they are (houses included)

Make sure you have a safe backstop and can see everything you are shooting at, dont skyline.

Lamping, peripheral visibility is reduced and spp identification is harder (its an all round thing, primarily foxing)

Be aware of richochet potential

Ensure vehicles used are suitable and sensible with competant drivers

Also got to include thigs like dont fall over, watch the weather etc (anything to add here?)

Any input would be ideal because its so easy to miss the little things you take for granted

regards

Dan

cheers willie,

i am working from the BASC thing but was wondering if anyone had anything they though was useful

Diolch

Dan, when I did a risk assessment for our shoot I put in things like safety in crossing ditches, fences, stiles, gates etc & ensuring weapons were unloaded before crossing so on & so forth.

Also you can put in about safely transporting firearms in off road vehicles & to pad it out even more the wearing of suitable clothing for the situation.

I found this useful on the NGO website, its more geared toward a game shoot but you can glean some relevant bits & pieces for your application.

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/library/resource/72/

Best of luck

Chris

I did a good course on night shooting with Charlie Parkes and John Thornley a few months ago and they gave me an example of Generic risk assessment.

I'll PM you a copy Dan.

It makes for good reading and you are bound to find something in there.

Steve

Dan, when I did a risk assessment for our shoot I put in things like safety in crossing ditches, fences, stiles, gates etc & ensuring weapons were unloaded before crossing so on & so forth.

Also you can put in about safely transporting firearms in off road vehicles & to pad it out even more the wearing of suitable clothing for the situation.

I found this useful on the NGO website, its more geared toward a game shoot but you can glean some relevant bits & pieces for your application.

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/library/resource/72/

Best of luck

Chris

Mossy Dog, you are probably sorted now but if I may offer the following -
Create 3 columns - in column one list all potential hazards. Column two is the level of risk from the hazard (ticky box, high,medium,low) and the third column is reccomendations.
So a PRW will be a hazard, the level of risk is say medium and the reccomendation might be, don't discharge firearms within 50m of the PRW, remain vigilant at all times.
Don't try and cover every eventuality, record the main Hazards and keep it short and concise. If you can show that you have gone through a thought process that should suffice.

Back