First training session.......Proud dad....

deerstalker.308

I was out for an afternoon stalk today, 20 mins in and barely settled in the high seat overlooking a clearing and a rather nice muntjac appeared stage left. I shot it and weighed up my options of either staying still and waiting for another or moving off else where. I went over to the carcass and dragged it back to the highseat having decided that I'd sit out for something else. When sat back in the highseat though I could clearly see the path along which I'd dragged the deer back and thought that that would be the perfect first lesson for my 15 week old cocker bitch Jess. So off to the truck I headed and returned in due course with the dog.
As we approached the area I watched her closely to see what she did, she spent most of the time following me closely at heel looking up at me for direction, but no sooner as we passed over the trail I had left than her nose hit the deck and her tail went nuts (even more so than cockers normally do...)
She was cautious, not surprising really as this was only her second encounter with fresh deer smell, but within a minute or so she had methodically let me right to the foot of the high seat where the deer was laid.
I couldn't have been happier, and she clearly enjoyed the whole experience, especially the tit-bit she was given during the gralloch! New deer dog here we come.......
View attachment 12159

I was out for an afternoon stalk today, 20 mins in and barely settled in the high seat overlooking a clearing and a rather nice muntjac appeared stage left. I shot it and weighed up my options of either staying still and waiting for another or moving off else where. I went over to the carcass and dragged it back to the highseat having decided that I'd sit out for something else. When sat back in the highseat though I could clearly see the path along which I'd dragged the deer back and thought that that would be the perfect first lesson for my 15 week old cocker bitch Jess. So off to the truck I headed and returned in due course with the dog.
As we approached the area I watched her closely to see what she did, she spent most of the time following me closely at heel looking up at me for direction, but no sooner as we passed over the trail I had left than her nose hit the deck and her tail went nuts (even more so than cockers normally do...)
She was cautious, not surprising really as this was only her second encounter with fresh deer smell, but within a minute or so she had methodically let me right to the foot of the high seat where the deer was laid.
I couldn't have been happier, and she clearly enjoyed the whole experience, especially the tit-bit she was given during the gralloch! New deer dog here we come.......
View attachment 12159

Who said cockers couldn't do it? ;)

Back