mole trap

woody1978

Hi all been asked by a local farmer to deal with some moles which are causing him some problems. Does anyone know of any best methods or traps to use ?

hi woody
try www.walcotefarm.co.uk gives a lot of good advise how
to trap moles.

+1 for this. i do pest control for a living and have always gassed moles as the boss didnt like using traps. after reading the advice from walcote farm i persuaded the boss to let me try and have not looked back. i tried talpex traps and they work but no better than the traditional scissor type. i always bend the legs of the traps as advised and compact the tunnel.

happy trapping and let us know how you go

To be honest you are probably better to get somebody that knows what they are doing, even if you have to pay as the time you will save in the long run will save you a fortune,if you go down this road ask if you can tag along and see what you can learn,even if you get a pro in for a day or depending how bad the infestation is:?:
90% will be caught on the first setting so you could have a go at the re sets, expect to pay approx £10 per hr + £5 per mole.....

Hope this helps

Hi Woody

If you are not familiar with mole trapping , go for the small Fenn type scissor trap, they are the smallest ones of the bunch and the probably the cheapest @ around 5.50 each.

The half barrel or duffus trap is the most commonest trap, I use the fenn and the talpex type myself I find the duffus take a lot of ground to set them and really I use them for sandy soil if at all. keep away from the long handled traps you see in the garden centres, they are terrible to use.

Take your time finding the good runs and try to read the ground for worm movement and freshness of the hills will guide you to the best area of activity, take some time to find the entry runs to the areas from adjacent ground, you may find the neighbour has 10 times as many hills and the bit you are doing is a small corner, don't give up . take your time and the traps will produce.

PM me if I can be of any help

Phil

You can catch moles with any type of trap if set properly I find no differance in the amount I catch with each type of trap.
I disagree slightly with the guy from walcote farm his technique sounds fine but it is not light that is the problem it is air pressure in the tunnel that tells the mole there is a problem.
The mole comes along the tunnel and comes across a differance in air pressure his whiskers detect this so he fills in the hole that is causing the problem along with your trap.
If you want to know how I know my grandfather was a professional mole trapper and my father as well but I am only an amateur.
If it was light that was the problem you would catch them in the night.

Last edited:
Flatpack in yorkshire make a good trap in both barrel or talpex type,my advice to you would be the barrel as the moles are just starting to mate and you can be quite successful these next couple of months with multiple catches in one trap. Trap placement is the key as well as the setting of the trap itself. Find the runs, ignore the molehills themselves, insulate against frost if weather dictates,make sure the trap is tight in the tunnel, no daylight,moisture or fresh air getting into tunnel, ambiance wants to be the same in trap site as main tunnel,Avoid trapping on a bend and Iron out tunnel floor leaving no debris. I have a few pics on my site that 'might' help at Rid of Moles - mole catching services from ridofmoles I am a Master mole=catcher trapping moles is how i make my living,hope this helps .P.S. you do not need to weather traps or wear gloves .

I don't know if it works when moles have already tunnelled a large area, but a few yes ago I successfully got rid of a mole in my garden using my own patented method. Last year a friend of mine was desperate with the same problem, having uselessly tried everything and anything. I offered my services, applying my mole**** method and getting his lawn rid of the pest. Here what to do:

1. Park your car conveniently close to the battleground;
2. Insert one end of a garden hose into the exhaust pipe of your car, sealing the connection and holding the hose in place knotting a rag around it.
3. Insert the other end into what appears to be a recent beast’s tunnel
4. Switch the car engine on, revving up to 2074 rpm and starting this way an intravenous gas injection
5. Try the tunnel both ways checking carefully for signs of the creature’s presence (sometimes the ******* simply pokes the snout out of the ground to take a breath)
6. Once identified the mole’s position, you know what to do. If you are reluctant to take drastic measures (moles are lovely soft little creatures) you can always put it into a box and make a present to an unlikable neighbour
Good luck

Just what the doctor ordered!
I've been following this thread closely..
I've have a big issue with moles and with my many many failed attempts of "thinking" I knew what I was doing (and the wife taking the p#ss every time I failed (me being the big white hunter I am).

Looks like this weekend will be payback now I know how it should be done..

Thanks guys
UK Guy

The Method depends on where & when. Traps are great for gardens etc, but gassing is my preferred with large open areas such as farms etc etc. Only my opinion, as time is money and to be trapping takes time to check & re-set if triggered or caught.

The Method depends on where & when. Traps are great for gardens etc, but gassing is my preferred with large open areas such as farms etc etc. Only my opinion, as time is money and to be trapping takes time to check & re-set if triggered or caught.

To be honest I was going to resort to sticking smoke bombs in the holes and stand and wait with a 12 bore just in case one popped up!
Is there anything I can buy which will gas these bleeders or is it only available to pro's?

The garden is quite big (few acres) and at lest 1 acre has been badly damaged
UK Guy

To be honest I was going to resort to sticking smoke bombs in the holes and stand and wait with a 12 bore just in case one popped up!
Is there anything I can buy which will gas these bleeders or is it only available to pro's?

The garden is quite big (few acres) and at lest 1 acre has been badly damaged
UK Guy
A 12 bore on moles? I suppose that will give you some craters to fill in with the mole hills, smart thinking:rofl:

Back