Black mutations of the Grey Squirrel.

old man

Out of interest, are there any of these near you yet?

As they are supposed to be better survivors than the Grey does this pose interesting questions for future control measures?

:old:

You mean one these
P1100575.jpg

They are slightly bigger than a grey and a lot more aggressive, also they seem to be a lot more hardy than a grey and have less disease problems
In all they will be the downfall of the grey and in time will possibly wipe them out
The question is can you deal with the devil you know or the devil you don't??

Stone where do you have these squirrels, the black ones in the USA are just a different color,the larger fox squirrels are easier to shoot than the greys.

I saw a few just south of Bedford last year chap told me they are plentiful around those parts

That's probably because they escaped from Woburn which was where the greys also originally escaped from! The 11th Duke of Bedford was also responsible for Muntjac so he's got quite a lot to answer for really! It's no coincidence that there are a lot of CWD around there too!!!!
MS

I saw two in a large garden near Roxton, just off the M11. These were black, not blackish but black as coal. Quite striking.

Stone where do you have these squirrels, the black ones in the USA are just a different color,the larger fox squirrels are easier to shoot than the greys.
The live one in the 1st picture is actually in Woburn park itself

The one in the next picture was shot in Staffordshire , the Red squirrel is just for size comparison
They don't stand a chance really
P1050643.jpg

I had a pure black Grey Squirrel from Kettering area a few years back. They are Greys but in a melanistic form, they are not another species. White Grey Squirrels are also to be found in various parts of the UK, and are not that uncommon.

I need some squirrel shooting where these are, I know for a white one not far from me but shooting it of the bird table might pxxs off the home owner.

Not necessarily so.....?

Below are pics (entry - pic 2- and exit wounds) of a tree rat hit with my 100gr hollow point out of my 7mm-08. Weird :confused:

Full thread in "Other Shooting"
that is weird would of thought 7 08 would have turned the little sod inside out

Back