ear wax

Stevie/P

my seven month old springer has brown stinking wax in both ears have cleand them out but it keep comeing back anyone know what i can do to stop it recurring.

Wish I knew, My cocker is 10 and he has had it on and off all his days, I use a gentle baby wipe to clean them out, but it always seems to re occur

my gsp has problems with that have to really keep on top of it i started with with spot ons ,advocate then after its all gone i started using thornite powder once a week it has cleared now and hes getting back to normal .thornite powder off fleabay you can do it everyday twice a day depending on how bad it is just keep clearing the debris away,atb wayne the thornite does work from the start and a preventative

my seven month old springer has brown stinking wax in both ears have cleand them out but it keep comeing back anyone know what i can do to stop it recurring.

Excess ear wax is a response to an irritant - foreign material or infection. Mites are very common in younger animals, but can't be excluded from older ones. An ear swab is a good start - looking for mite eggs and a yeast called malassezia. The latter is very common and is often associated with other skin problems - particularly around the ears, face, neck, armpits, groin and perianal area.

Many vets feel that a amnky ear is a sign of an overall skin complaint, often allergy based. Spaniels are a bit prone to heavy grease in their coats so this can be a contributing factor.

So, get the ears checked. If no better, get them checked again and make sure all flea control is up to date.

As regards the powder, I wouldn't use it, what ever apparent good results are reported. If any of the powder gets in the ear canal, this will cause further irritation.

My 7 month old springer has this, and vet prescribed CanAural. (sp?)
Unfortunately, I've finished off the bottle of medicine, and the pup is still suffering a bit, although no longer shaking his head. I don't want to put the stuff into him for the rest of his life... should I go back to vet, or should I hope it sorts itself out?

My vizsla bitch has this also. Vet says its an allergy. Ruby would scratch her outer ear raw at times. I clean it out with a baby wipe and appy some carruba(spelling) drops

My 7 month old springer has this, and vet prescribed CanAural. (sp?)
Unfortunately, I've finished off the bottle of medicine, and the pup is still suffering a bit, although no longer shaking his head. I don't want to put the stuff into him for the rest of his life... should I go back to vet, or should I hope it sorts itself out?

Get yourself some Easotic or CleanAural ear cleaner and give them a good flush out every other day for a week. If the ears are still bothering after that then go back. Sometimes even once the infection/infestation is cleared there is a lot of wax, debris etc that needs cleaning out.

I've got a pet plan, and every six months my springer's checked by the vet. One of the first thing is to check and sniff her ears. I remember reading something about springer ear infections/wax on 'tinternet when I was looking to get a springer but can't find it now! I think this is a vet job.

Try changing the food you feed, if you feed raw food you will find that any ear problems will clear up unless there are mites involved. Alot of cereal based dog food causes fungal growth and wax in the ears, like an allergy.

Try changing the food you feed, if you feed raw food you will find that any ear problems will clear up unless there are mites involved. Alot of cereal based dog food causes fungal growth and wax in the ears, like an allergy.

Biggest load of ballcocks I assure you

all our 3 spaniels get smelly ears,
I clean them using baby wipes, a squirt of clean aural, repeat each day for a few days,

a month later it starts again, if you look at the ears they never get any ventilation, perfect for yeast/infections.

all our 3 spaniels get smelly ears,
I clean them using baby wipes, a squirt of clean aural, repeat each day for a few days,

a month later it starts again, if you look at the ears they never get any ventilation, perfect for yeast/infections.

Spaniels it's about all you can do - keep them clean. Clipping the hair short (with electric clippers) below the ear flap can really help in some dogs.

Always had the same trouble with the springers until I discovered " Otodex "
The best solutuion for me and mine bar none, tried everything from the vet, - 5-7 drops in each ear every 10 - 14 days never a problem. If you have an major issue to start with may need 12-15 drops and the same again 2-3 day later - clean out any muck in the outer ear canal with cotton buds. Great stuff as it sorts out mites too.
Once all is in order use 3-5 drops every week or 10 days and all will be fine.
Atb.

Biggest load of ballcocks I assure you

I would disagree with that sentiment. Alot of commercial dog food is based around maize, wheat and soy - all common allergens in dogs and the link with ear disease and irritation is well recognised.

If one looks at human research, the number of conditions that improve with diet is said to be huge. I once went to hear one large study presented to GPs where large numbers of people were put on the Paleolithic diet and 40-42% of each group (of 100) improved significantly for eczema, asthma, ibs, epilepsy and another group of anything.

Biologically appropriate raw food feeding makes a huge difference in my experience: the dogs are happier, calmer and more responsive as well as healthier. Not good though for veterinary business - I know of one 4 Vet practice that experienced a 5% fee income reduction but 50% client increase in one year just through promoting BARF and also following the now WSAVA guidelines on vaccines rather then re-vaccinating every year!

Those interested might look at Dog Food Analysis - Reviews of kibble
It provides a breakdown of the formulations of most of the common dog foods and you might be surprised what you read there.
I found this site after shooting next to a gun that made a fortune from spraying the gloop from rendered chicken carcases onto rice cakes and selling it as hypoallergenic chicken and rice dog food. You will be able to guess the rating his dog food gets there......
To declare chicken (or any meat) as a major ingredient in the UK one only has to show 4% inclusion rate in a dog food

And as regard ear cleaners - a local veterinary dermatologist recommends Cider Vinegar washes - a teaspoon to a pint of water, as required. In spaniels where the anatomy does not help, since I switched to this, I find it is far less irritant and more effective than commercial preparations I have tried, for general ear cleaning

Back