Wind proof water proof and breathable

swarovski

All these companies who make these type of clothing say there items do the above,they only seem to stay water proof for so long,wind proof,most coats are,can't say I've ever noticed any of my trousers and coats have been breathable,have never known any of the makes stop me from sweating.

Rohan stuff works. It is expensive and as it's not designed for hunting the jackets are noisy. I do wear the fleeces. shirts, t shirts and trousers for stalking . They last forever and wear well. It's worth the money in the long run, I still have some stuff I've had 10-15 years.
ATB

My tweed suit has me sweating my gonads off and you wont get much more breathable than tweed!

Just because its "breathable" doesnt mean you wont sweat in it, what "breathable" means is that the JACKET doesnt sweat and create moisture.

I have a Hunt-Tec jacket for 10 years and it has never ever leaked, no ifs, no butts full stop, I brought it from their factory shop in NZ never seen one in the UK, breather able is another thing, the only things I have found that is truly breather able when you are really working hard, as when dragging out an animal is pertex or Gore but neither is truly water proof, wind proof yes, but both let water in. I have tried most stuff when fell running, but then at the end of the day skin is water proof.

ATB

Tahr

There is a lot of confusion regarding garment breathability, and even the best top level Gore Tex membranes on the market, will inevitably not "breathe" properly if the correct type of undergarments are not worn.

I am a road cyclist and know more than most the compatibility of under garments vs outer layers.

If you wear a light natural fibre base layer, (Enduro make Baa Baa for cycling) or something like Icebreaker, tight fitting next to your skin, with then a Polartec lightweight fleece, or a shirt etc, and then your outer fabric, you will notice a marked difference in the "breathability" of your waterproof garment, and give it the best chance to do what it says on the tin so to speak.

We often see people with a waterproof gore tex shooting coat, a nylon polo shirt, and a thick fleecy jumper or cheapo sweatshirt, complaining their jacket is not breathable and they wonder why after sweat has to fight its way through synthetic layers, and by then has cooled down and condensed inside the garment.

Wearing the right TYPE of clothing is crucial, regardless of how much you spend.

There is a lot of confusion regarding garment breathability, and even the best top level Gore Tex membranes on the market, will inevitably not "breathe" properly if the correct type of undergarments are not worn.

I am a road cyclist and know more than most the compatibility of under garments vs outer layers.

If you wear a light natural fibre base layer, (Enduro make Baa Baa for cycling) or something like Icebreaker, tight fitting next to your skin, with then a Polartec lightweight fleece, or a shirt etc, and then your outer fabric, you will notice a marked difference in the "breathability" of your waterproof garment, and give it the best chance to do what it says on the tin so to speak.

We often see people with a waterproof gore tex shooting coat, a nylon polo shirt, and a thick fleecy jumper or cheapo sweatshirt, complaining their jacket is not breathable and they wonder why after sweat has to fight its way through synthetic layers, and by then has cooled down and condensed inside the garment.

Wearing the right TYPE of clothing is crucial, regardless of how much you spend.

well Said!!:thumb:

I only wear a long sleeve t shirt under my deer hunter coat whether stalking or lamping even in today's whether,if I wore 2t shirts I would sweat like a rapist,I've obviously miss understood the breathable part then,will stick to 1 t shirt scenario then :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Rohan stuff works. It is expensive and as it's not designed for hunting the jackets are noisy. I do wear the fleeces. shirts, t shirts and trousers for stalking . They last forever and wear well. It's worth the money in the long run, I still have some stuff I've had 10-15 years.
ATB

Got to agree with what fairacre says about the Rohan stuff, it's great as normal layers. Maybe I should email and see if they want to design a quiet hunting jacket.

Back